After testing, do you toss the sample?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poppysue

Junior
Reaction score
I've been pouring my hydrometer test samples back into the batch. Now -I read that you should to toss each sample out to avoid contamination. It seems like a lot of waste to me.... especially if you're only working with one or 2 gallonsof wine.IfI take precautions to sanitize before every test will it be okay to dump the sample back in... or is it just too risky.

poppysue,

I've "never" tossed asample after testing SG! If you clean and sanitize the test jar/hydrometer, the wine will be fine.I'm like you, when I make small batches, every drop counts
smiley2.gif

Acid test samples are not returned to the primary/carboy due to the hydroxide solution used, but only a very small sample of wine is needed.

Phew...I'm sooo glad to hear that!Thanks for the speedy reply, pkcook. I'll go back to my testing then.

I rinse and clean everything after and let air dry, then Isantitize everything before using it again.

We too put our hydrometer samples back into the batch. Unless Bert thinks he needs to drink it...
smiley9.gif

Latest posts

Back