Advice on Temperature of Primary fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

111jag

Reaction score
Last night I just bought 14 cases of Merlot (from California) and have put them into two plastic barrels. I have the barrels sitting under my back porch outside, where the temperature is supposed to hit 24 degrees Celsius (75 F) with a humidity reading of 28 C (82.4 F). At night the temperature drops significantly. Later on in the week the temperature is supposed to get hotter with higher humidity. I live in Southern Ontario.
Is this good for the wine? What is the ideal temperature? How can I achieve this ideal temperature? Should I move it inside? How long should I leave this in Primary fermentation?
Thanks,

it should be fine outside as long as temp stay above 65 deg F. measure specific gravity and once reaches 1.010 press wine and place into carboys. make sure you punch down must at least twice a day. after place in carboys, rack after three days, again in three weeks and the age at least three month before bottling. wine should be clear at three months.

I have a question regarding primary fermentation. Should I add anything to it to secure or speed up fermentation? Should I add anything at secondary fermentation? I heard that you don't have to add anything, but I am not sure.

Did you check the brix or SG?
Did you test the pH?
Did you test the TA?

You really need to know these things, and probably lots more, to know what to add and when to add it.

Generally, its fix acid and sugar, add yeast. After a few days, press and test acid and SG. A few more days and rack and test again. A few more months later rack and test again...etc. After a while, test and bottle.

I would be concerned about that cooling. As the fermentation progresses, and the alcohol levels increase, and the sugar levels decrease, the cooling may cause the yeast to go dormant (aka a stuck fermentation). Maintaining temps above, say, 65 degrees is recommended.

I also would be worried about insects and other wild critters. A whole host of organisms are highly attracted to CO2.

If at all possible, I would move it indoors.

As far as additives, yes, you should be adding yeast nutrient. as DoctorCAD suggests, you should test your wine for PH and/or acid levels. You may need to add additional acid or bring the current acid levels down.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back