Adjusting the must of Welch's wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coaster

Reaction score
Going to do the Welch’s bottled thing here shortly (white grape/blueberry/kiwi) and have a few questions.
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
If the SG is low (&lt;1.085) I adjust up with sugar, and if high (&gt;1.100) I adjust down with water?

Do I need to know the starting TA? If so what is the target (.60%)? The adjustment is 1 tsp = .15% per gal?

Do I need to know the pH? What is the target (3.1-3.6)? What is the adjustment?

When do I test the free SO2? Just before bottling (and again after I adjust it?) or is the free SO2 in the must important because I am using Welch’s juice?

Are these three measurements inter-related, meaning if I adjust one, some of the other will change?

Are there other measurements I should know about?

Sorry, only done kit wines to this point and have assumed (yes, I know) that this was all accounted for in the kit.

Coaster said:
Going to do the Welch’s bottled thing here shortly (white grape/blueberry/kiwi) and have a few questions.
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
If the SG is low (&lt;1.085) I adjust up with sugar, and if high (&gt;1.100) I adjust down with water?
<O:p>That's basically it. If it's super high, you might want to "water" it down with something other than water (like juice) to avoid a thin wine.

Coaster said:
</O:p>
Do I need to know the starting TA? If so what is the target (.60%)? The adjustment is 1 tsp = .15% per gal?
<O:p>Knowing starting TA is important because it helps you know where your must is and how much acid adjusting needs to be done. Since your wine has a white grape base, I'd shoot foraround 0.60 or0.65. The 1 tsp =0.15% is close (depends on the type of acid blend).
Coaster said:
Do I need to know the pH? What is the target (3.1-3.6)? What is the adjustment?
<O:p>Adding acid blend will affect the pH. Honestly though,Idon't worry too much about pH, so someone a bit more versed on the subjectwill have to jump in here.

Coaster said:
When do I test the free SO2? Just before bottling (and again after I adjust it?) or is the free SO2 in the must important because I am using Welch’s juice?
<O:p>Free SO2 is important. If you are planning on doing any long-term bulk aging, you might want to check it after the wine is cleared and ready to age (at least, until you get some experience under your belt). You will also want check before you bottle.

Coaster said:
Are these three measurements inter-related, meaning if I adjust one, some of the other will change?
<O:p>TA and pH are related. Changing your TAwill affect your pH, but not always by thesame amount. I don't thinkSO2 adjustment affecteither TA orpH.</O:p>
Are there other measurements I should know about?
<O:p></O:p>

Latest posts

Back