WineXpert Adding Sulfites

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdeere5220

Farmer Member
Reaction score
Newbie here. Made Stag's Leap Merlot 6 months ago and it's just now getting to be really, really good. I just started another batch! Reading the WE 2010 catalog, and it says that if you plan to age for more than 6 months you should add extra sulfites. I would like to age this new batch for at least 1 year. Anyone have advice on quantities or type of sulfites to add? When should they be added? How much? Thanks in advance!

Another question: For someone who enjoys dry and medium bodied reds, what's something else you might suggest? Luna Rossa seems quite good to me but maybe a little chewy or thick to me. I know that's not proper terms but that's the way I would describe it. Has anyone tried the Lodi Ranch Cab Sav or the Columbia Valley Cab Franc Merlot? Your thoughts? Thanks!

Use what came with the kit when stabalizing and then after that after every 3-4 months of aging add another 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulfite(k-meta). Best method though is to actually check to see if you need sulfite by checking with a S02 test kit.

Back