acid level?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunwolf

Reaction score
OK I am not new to wine making but new to wine making (if you understand that)
I usually acid test in my must and adjust...but I have been reading alot about adjusting at the first rack? I started my apple wine earlier this week without testing the acid level figuring I could test it at the first racking. am I correct? once the acid level is within the desired area will it remain the same through out the process? or will it need to be adjusted again? thanks

I make the adjustments as early as possible in the process.

Edit:
This is under the assumption that the adjustments will better assimilate into the finished product the earlier they are done, especially prior to fermentation.

Last edited:
I am very new to wine making but my understanding was that if your wine is not at a proper pH, then fermentation will be lacking in some way shape or form. My Elderberry wines both needed considerable acid blend added to get the ph to about 3.2-3.6. The thing I really noticed with both was the color of my wine in the primary fermentation bucket before fermentation started. When the pH was up near neutral or on the base side, my juices were a light to dark brown. As I added Acid Blend 1/4 tsp at a time, the color of the juices went from dark to light brown and then slowly into a deeper red. Also the smell of the juice was more noticable as I went more acidic.

I guess what I am saying is there is a lot to following your eyes and nose, especially if you have test strips and hydrometer to "fine tune"!

Happy wine making!

I have the Acid test kit,strips,and everything needed to adjust. but for some reason this time I got into reading alot of posts and recipes from magazines and other forums that suggested I could wait... My apple has only been going in the primary for just about a week now, maybe I'll check it today.

You can adjust acid anytime but consider this.

Adjusting in the prefermentation will allow your must to ferment better. A well balanced ph and acid range will work well too.

What acid are you adding? A blend or certain a individual. Apple tends to be low in some kinds of apples that's why I press a variety of kinds to get a decent ph acid range yet it's not too tart. I even toss in a few pears to sweeten it up.

There is more I fo. in the wikipedia section of this forum. See it on the home page.

Adding acid later is okay but remember if left in a very chilly place tartaric acid will drop out. That's a good thing.

Never add acid blindly and only add what you need.

I concern myself most with pH preferment and adjust accordingly to create the best fermentation environment I can for the yeast.

Fermentation produces/metabolizes acids during ferment, some more than others, so I make any necessary additional adjustments after the SECOND racking; after ferment is complete when racking off of gross lees.

Beyond this point acid/pH are likely to be relatively stable.

I checked today and my acid level was around 70 so I added a half gallon of sugar water to the must. I will recheck it later.

Latest posts

Back