Acid adjustment????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivebk

Reaction score
Hi , Everyone

My second batch of wine has been bulk aging for almost 6 months now and I just had to sample a little. It is a welchs grape concentrate wine that has cherries, blueberries,and blackberries in it. At the time that I started this batch I did not have an acid test kit( I know !!! rookie mistake). The recipe that I followed said nothing about checking the acid level ( guess I was supposed to already know that). This batch of wine has way too much acidity. My question is can the acid level be lowered this late in the game , or will I just have to backsweeten till I get a better balance? If it can be adjusted , what with and at what rate?

Thanks

BOB

It can be lowered by using
<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">6160 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5C6160_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Calcium Carbonate - 2 oz.

This chemical is basic; in other words, it lowers the acidity of your wine to within your targeted range.</td></tr></t></table>

A better choice for post-fermentation acid adjustment is potassium carbonate. Calcium carbonate is best used pre-fermentation. If you use too much calcium carbonate it can leave a chalky taste. Potassium carbonate works well and can adjust a couple points safely without affecting the flavors adversely. Cold stabilization helps drop it back out after the adjustment. Be careful of adding it with plenty of headspace. It WILL foam a lot.

Thanks guys,

Appleman , are there directions on the bottle or is there a rule on the amount per gallon to adjust at a certain rate

Bob

If I am able to cold stabilize it how long and at what temp

There are usually amount directions on the bottle. You add so many grams per gallon to drop it each .1g/L TA. The one I use figures out to about a half of a small bottle per 6 gallons to drop the TA by the maximum amount you want. I need to shoot for the maximum with some of mine.

Potassium bicarbonate reduces the acid level of wine by neutralization and precipitation. It neutralizes acid by converting one to the hydrogen ions of tartaric acid to water and then combining with the remaining tartrate ion to form relatively insoluble potassium bitartrate.

Potassium Bicarbonate will lower total acid by .1% by adding 3.4 grams per gallon.
You can add cream of tartar to speed the drop out. Without it, a week to ten days of 30's to 40's should do it. A bit less time with it (cream of tartar).

Did you degas your wine following fermentation? If not, I highly recommend doing so before adjusting pH. The dissolved CO2 will cause the wine to be tart.

Also, I have made several Concord wines and time in the bottle definitely helps smooth the tartness associated with this grape.

Latest posts

Back