A SMILE FOR APPLEMAN

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you bring your deer home????

cid_002801c824c07e8e12a00200a8c0COM.jpg

Here is a picture of how we have to get our moose home up here in Alberta
20071112_115855_moose.JPG

To me, this thead is an example ofgathering nature's bounty the way it's been done for millennia. It's presentedon a wine board but in a "general" forum. Making wine is an example of self sufficency, as is growing food, baking bread, making jam, and harvesting the bountythis country has to offer. This isn't a celebration of aimless violence but instead,it celebratesself reliance.

I belong to another wine making board where a memberrecently posted a photo of a white tail fork-horn he'dharvested over the weekend. He posted a warning in the heading that thethread may be graphic in case someone wanted to skip it.Apparently a memberdecided to look anyway and then complained thatthey were offended. The moderator removed the entire post along witha couple of replies and left a warning that only wine related posts were allowed, despite the fact that the replies were regarding an appropriate wine to serve with venison and despite the fact that there is also ajoke and humor section that also has nothing to do with wine. After a couple of dissenting posts, the moderator invited anyone who didn't like the moderation policies to leave.
I'm glad to see there's still a little common sense and devotion to traditions that are the foundation of this great country.

We have many PETA members who enjoy harvesting the animals that our Father provided for that purpose!

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

Gee...I hope no one was offended. Guess I would have been informed if that was the case.

Rule G and Masta and everyone here...Thank You for being here and having open minds.

You all know that every meal of this venison will be either marinated and or eaten along with wine.....That's what we all do here.

I have only had it once and had no idea of how to cook it and it wasnt bad. Id love to have it cooked right and have some with a good wine. I really dont know anyone that hunts that would like to trade some so I guess itll be awhile before I really have a good taste of it.

Ohhhhhhhh wade.......A venison tenderloin, marinated in sweet milk, seasoned, wrapped in bacon and grilled to perfection.......Dammit.I'm slobbering again

appleman said:
Sheesh. Do you guys tie them up out there and then go bring them home in the tractor. Looks like he gave that one a few bottles of your sparkling apple cider to get him drunk and he's just passed out!

smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
BWAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
BWAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Wade, you cook venison just like you would cook any cut of beef. You have to be careful not to overcook it though. Venison is very low in fat as is, plus any fat that is on a deer is quickly removed (it tastes horrible) by the butcher. So the meat will quicky dry out when cooked. Any burger is usually combined with beef fat, and sausage with pork, so you'd just cook as normal. Steaks and roasts however should not be cooked much past medium rare. Also, don't be turned off by myths of gamey flavors. Venisonshould not taste like beef, but it also should not have a strong gamey taste either. If it does, then it was not handledor aged properly.

The deer around here eat what ever they like...corn, soybeans good alfalfa...your lawn, decorative shrubs and trees, fruit trees, grapes, vegetable garden, baby Black Currant bushes...etc..they can be a nuesince....They are very well fed and the flavor of their meat is very mild.

We were coming home along our field one evening this fall and counted 17 in the soybeans....they can do much damage to our crops, so we don't feel guilty when we harvest a couple to put in our freezer.

Most of the venison we eat is in stir fry, steaks, ka-bobs, stew, sweet & sour, golash....etc. I prepare it like beef. The stir fry, ka-bobs and steaks are marinaded in any wine with equal parts of soy sauce, fresh minced garlic and white pepper....as well as other marinades. We don't often get ground venison made, but usually get a batch of either Summer Sausage or Polish type sausage made with the small trim pieces of meat...This year we are getting spicy Pepperoni sticks made.

The only problem with venison is there is never enough.

Latest posts

Back