WineXpert A real newbie question.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They may be using that wine product as a "Loss Leader" Meaning they actually sell certain items below cost to get you into the store or even the stores particular department to buy stuff that turns them a profit.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Thanks for all the replies. I think I have my wife talked into buying me the deluxe kit for Christmas.

A thought on the cheap wine. About 2 months ago I bought 3 bottles of Tysdale Merlot for $2.99 a bottle. It was the most undrinkable acid I have ever tasted. I've learned my lesson.

One more question: Can the bottles from store bought wine be used for bottling the homemade wine??

BTW- when I do get a kit I will definately purchase it from this site. Thanks for all the info.

earl

earl said:
Thanks for all the replies. I think I have my wife talked into buying me the deluxe kit for Christmas.

A thought on the cheap wine. About 2 months ago I bought 3 bottles of Tysdale Merlot for $2.99 a bottle. It was the most undrinkable acid I have ever tasted. I've learned my lesson.

One more question: Can the bottles from store bought wine be used for bottling the homemade wine??

BTW- when I do get a kit I will definitely purchase it from this site. Thanks for all the info.

earl

For $2.99 a bottle you can make one of the top end kits that would be at least $20.00 at the store.

Glad you found the site and forum interesting and helpful. George will make sure you are well taken care of and with a money back guarantee on everything you can't lose!

Save all you bottles from store bought wine and also ask your wine drinking friends to do the same. It is a bitof work to clean labels off and prep them but well worth the costsavings.

I figure I'll add my wine making ramble here for earl's sake...

My wine making started less than 90 days ago with absolutely no knowledge and just a idea that because I like to drink and enjoy wine then by all rights I should enjoy making it too. I WAS RIGHT!! I have my first kit, a Lodi Old Vines Zinfandel,bottled. I also have started6 gallons worth of apple (from cider), which is undergoing secondary fermentation right now.

I went through my notesand figured from starting to now I have about $485 invested in this hobby.This was anequipmentstarter kit, a high end wine kit, 2 cases of new bottles at bottling, professional printed,the ingredients and chemicals for the scratch apple,2 extra carboys and a few toys. If I can squeeze 29 bottles from the apple wine my total cost per bottle overall(including the Zin) would be $8.79/bottle... seems a bit high I know, but now I have enough chemicals to bottle probably a dozen cases or more and the equipment to keep everything running. I anticipate my next batch, which will more than likely a kit can bebottled for less than $2.50 each. Hopefully one day I get into the dollar a bottle production realm!

And believe me, you can do this hobbyfor less than I am currently, but in my opinion...I have learned this isnt a hobby you want to skimp in, your better off with good equipment and good ingredients, this will make a better wine.

<whew...> Im done...

Right on the money there. Up front it costs more but you end up paying
very little in the long term. Not to mention all the enjoyment during, and
the improvement in quality.

Back