A Question of Racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swedgin

Reaction score
Forgive my inexperience, but I had a question.

When it comes to racking off of the lees, it seems to me that you're always going to be short some wine in your next vessel (because of what you're leaving behind). So every time I ferment and rack, I'm always left with a shortage and unsure of what to top off with. This happens both after racking into a secondary and racking after the wine has cleared.

What am I doing wrong? Has everyone else figured this problem out and just doesn't talk about it? What's the 'trick?' I really don't want to add a different wine entirely into mine, but surely that isn't the only way?

Most of the carboys are more than the 23 L that it says on the bottom so even if you never lose any wine during racking, you will be short of the neck. Some top up with other wine and some use water which will dilute it some or allot. Some will rack down to a smaller vessel, like the 19 L carboy and put any extra into a wine bottle or jug for future rackings. I use the extra wine top up. I use whatever I have from a previous batch that is close. It works for me but I'm not overly picky and my wine tasting abilities are minimal.

You did mention top up in regards to racking into the secondary. I do not worry about head space at that point since it is still fermenting. Also check your directions. Some specifically say not to top up, but that is only good if you are bottling on their time frame. I have never followed that part and use extended racking/aging time. Basically 6-7 days in the primary (SG 1.000), rack - 14 days in the secondary, rack & stabilize - 21 days left to clear, rack - age for up to 6- 10 months depending on the wine.

I sure you will get other tips from others.

cheers

Another thing to use to top up is glass marbles, just make sure they are clean. I top up with wine

Depending on the equipment you're using, the amount of wine remaining after rack-over shouldn't be more or much more than a wine glassful... Topping up with like wine (store bought) or compatible from your own stock is the simplest solution. Just keep good notes on your process.

I always have my main vessel, whether it be a barrel, flex tank or carboy. I then make topping wine to support that. For a barrel, I'll make a 5 gallon carboy, for a 5 gallon carboy, I'll make a gallon. When the topping wine is used, then I will break that down in smaller containers or bottle (knowing that there will be sediment and to be used only for topping)

Depending on the equipment you're using, the amount of wine remaining after rack-over shouldn't be more or much more than a wine glassful... Topping up with like wine (store bought) or compatible from your own stock is the simplest solution. Just keep good notes on your process.

I'm just using an autosiphon and a carboy. A TON of sediment tends to drop out and I'm afraid of getting it into my wine, so maybe I'm leaving more than I should.

Thanks for all the responses guys.

I'm just using an autosiphon and a carboy. A TON of sediment tends to drop out and I'm afraid of getting it into my wine, so maybe I'm leaving more than I should.

You can always take out the sediment that is left over and put it in a smaller jar and let it settle out more. Then a smaller tubing to siphon out more that you can

Depending (again) on the type of wine, red/white, and your planned aging time, you can well count on several rack-overs before bottling. Provided you do not shake the carboy around too much and disturb the sediment, the baffle tip on the end of the racking cane will prevent sucking up too much of that sediment. Practice, practice, practice ;)

It seems impossible not to disturb the lees when I tilt the carboy to rack off more wine, no matter how careful I am.

I'm making a triple berry wine if it matters.

I have another question.

I have a half gallon of wine that hasn't been stabilized with sorbate or sulfites. I'm about to backsweeten a 5 gallon batch that's already been stabilized with sorbate / sulfites. Would it be safe to top up with the clear unstabilized wine, since the 5 gallon batch has already been stabilized?

Last edited:
It seems impossible not to disturb the lees when I tilt the carboy to rack off more wine, no matter how careful I am.

1) Rack until you get close to the end.
2) Pull racking cane out to stop the racking.
3) Tilt carboy
4) Restart racking into a 2nd container
5) Let 2nd container settle for a week
6) Rack 2nd container into 3rd container
7) if clear enough, combine with 1st container

This works well if you have a pump (all-in-one wine pump). If you are siphoning, not as easy.

Yes that should be fine - as long as you added sorbate including the amount you are entering also into the main vessel.

Latest posts

Back