A Hodgepodge in Traditional Style

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a little bit of an experiment in the works. I am getting ready to do make a cherry wine with a Pinot Noir twist in the style of a Pinot Noir varietal wine. This is what I have put together thus far and would greatly appreciate any input, advice and suggestions.

Ingredients
  • 20 lbs Pinot Noir grapes
  • 50lbs Montmorency Sour cherries
  • Scott Laboratories Assmanshausen yeast

Prepare Must

• Remove stems, crush fruit and transfer must to primary fermentation vessels
  • Read and adjust pH level to between 3.4 and 3.6
  • Read and adjust TA level to between
  • Read and adjust brix to 22.65 in order to create a potential alcohol level of 13%
  • Add pectic enzyme at a rate of
  • Add Potassium bisulfite at a rate of 50ppm to inhibit yeast and spoilage organism growth
    Refrigerate vessels until temperature drops below 50°F then submerge in ice bath to maintain temperature reduction
  • Add dry ice to create an intert atmosphere then seal vessels with airlocks
  • Maintain temperature for four to five days
    Remove vessels from ice bath and allow slowly to warm to approximately 59°F
  • Read and adjust pH level if necessary
  • Read and adjust TA level if necessary
    Allow indigenous yeasts to begin fermentation
  • Gently mix 20% of appropriately scaled yeast nutrient into must
  • Seal vessels with airlocks
  • Punch cap two to three times per day in order maintain good contact of wine with must
  • Monitor and make necessary adjustments to maintain a reaction temperature of less than 80°F
    When fermentation via indigenous yeasts has caused a 30% to 40% brix reduction innoculate wine with yeast culture and remaining nutrients to finish primary fermentation
  • Continue to punch cap in order maintain good contact of wine with must
  • Monitor and make necessary adjustments to maintain a reaction temperature of less than 80°F
    When wine has fermented to 0 brix press must and transfer wine to new vessels for malolactic fermentation
  • Read and adjust pH level only if unfavorable to malolactic culture
  • Read and adjust TA level only if unfavorable to malolactic culture
    Innoculate wine with malolactic culture
  • Add solid French Oak in amounts scaled for surface area equivalency with that of a full 60 gallon barrel
  • Stir gently once per week
  • Monitor and make necessary adjustments to maintain a reaction temperature of less than 70°F
    After two months rack wine into new vessels for settling
  • Read and adjust pH level only if it has been altered to a degree which decreases the quality of the wine
  • Read and adjust TA level only if it has been altered to a degree which decreases the quality of the wine
  • Add Potassium metabisulfite at a rate of 30ppm to 50ppm to ensure stability of the wine
  • Seal vessels to the atmosphere
    Rack wine up to twice more after subsequent settling
  • Seal vessels to the atmosphere
  • Monitor and make necessary adjustments to maintain a stable temperature of no more than 70°F
    Bottle wine after a total of one year

I would make sure that there is malic acid present before going to a MLF. not all wines benefit from this fermentation.
I assume you cold soak is to increase color. I would use enzymes to perform this task and guarantee the color stabilizing.

Back