A DISAPPOINTING MORNING

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bummer jobe. MAybe were just not supposed to be messing with them elderberries.

I suppose it would be mean of me to tell you I just picked half a 5 gallon pail of them, wouldn't it?

The really strange thing...there were ripe elderberries AND blossoms on the same tree. How can that be?

Joan said:
I suppose it would be mean of me to tell you I just picked half a 5 gallon pail of them, wouldn't it?

The really strange thing...there were ripe elderberries AND blossoms on the same tree. How can that be?

It's simple Joan, You picked the ripe Elderberries and the blossoms are the future Youngerberries!
smiley2.gif
smiley36.gif

I guess it's kind of like some of the vines have nice big grapes on them and are developing laterals on the same vine that are getting ready to blossom! I think I will be picking those off soon!

I owe Waldo a bottle of last year's crop! I haven't forgotten!! I suppose it's bulk aged long enough, eh?

Waldo, I have an official US Navy Sympathy Chit in my office, good for 100 words of sympathy from any Navy Chaplain. It's your's.

Along the crop front, this year is a disaster in the mid-south. The cotton looks OK, but the corn in dead and the soybeans are only about 4" tall and very patchy. No rain in the 7 day forecast.

The real sad thing about the soybeans is that after harvesting the winter wheat the farmland I pass on my way to and from work was left fallow until we did get some rain. The famrers went ahead and planted, but we fell back into a no-rain pattern. The beans started to grow, but now patches are turning brown, and I expect them to be a total loss in another 10 days.

I really hate to see that, because farming is not very profitable, but with the biodiesel craze the price of soybeans is way up. That's probably why they planted, and now they will lose that investment.

I know Peter....There is a considerable amount of farmland that was left fallow this year due to the lack of enough rain to get the crop planted. My boss also owns 2 large farms down around DeWitt and he planted no beans at all this year.

Joan.............
smiley4.gif
smiley17.gif
smiley1.gif
smiley4.gif
Edited by: Waldo

Sorry to hear that there were no berries, but look at it this way...

You dragged your old, over weight, smoking self out for a nice morning walk
smiley2.gif
smiley36.gif

Well, perhaps i will not need to treking through the underbrush this year to get me some elderberries. Mine are doing pretty good I think. As are my Blackberries, which are beginning to ripen and my grape vines are not looking too shabby either,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

IMG_3637.jpg

IMG_3638.jpg

IMG_3640.jpg

IMG_3639.jpg

IMG_3636.jpg

IMG_3635.jpg

i'LL let appleman tell me how the grapes are doing as i have never grown any of them before. Im just kinda "faking" my way through on them right now. Doing lots of reading. I will say i have not sprayed them as of yet and as long as I see no bugs on them I am planning on leaving them alone unless appleman or someone else in the know directs me differently.

Thanks Ken..I'm sure counting on it. I picked about 2 quarts this evening and they were very nice tasting.

Now don't go eating them all. You won't have any left over for the wine...lol.
smiley36.gif

Looking good Waldo. Things are starting to crank out for you now. Your grapes should start producing soon also- maybe some next year!?

Wish you lived closer Waldo, cause I could turn you on to a real butt load of elderberries. I will have to charge up the good camera and go take some pictures at the park. I plan to go check on the berry status soon.

If theres anyone close by to me that wants to know, I can share my secret elderberry patch....

K&GB said:
Now don't go eating them all. You won't have any left over for the wine...lol.
smiley36.gif

I tried only two and the rest went in the freezer.

Bwahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Can I keep no secrets from this bunch ?

Latest posts

Back