A couple questions about my first batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wkingsnorth

Reaction score
Yesterday I moved the wine from the fermenter to the carboy. It was day 8 which is what the instructions said. I checked the weight with the hydrometer and it was exactly 1.0. I noticed that I don't see the escaping gas anymore in the airlock. I assume because the fermenting is slowing down?? The instruction says to leave it in the carboy for 12 more days. Is it normal for the weight to be that low that quickly? It said it should be 1.10 or lower.

As I mentioned, please let us know the specifics. In the interim, though, I can tell you first that airlock activity is a good visual indicator of what's going on. As the yeast slow down and die off with increasing alcohol and diminishing sugar, bubbling will slow appreciably. In terms of "that low that quickly", it really depends on the starting reading, temperature, type of yeast, and other variables.

One more point, focus on hydrometer readings more than days.

Last edited:
Ferments can take different amounts of times depend on the yeast you are using, how much sugar is in the must, the temp. of the must, how much acid is in it, and among other things maybe the phase of the moon. They can be faster or slower, no real big deal, but you can keep trackof them with your hydrometer. Best of luck with it, Arne.

Yesterday I moved the wine from the fermenter to the carboy. It was day 8 which is what the instructions said. I checked the weight with the hydrometer and it was exactly 1.0. I noticed that I don't see the escaping gas anymore in the airlock. I assume because the fermenting is slowing down?? The instruction says to leave it in the carboy for 12 more days. Is it normal for the weight to be that low that quickly? It said it should be 1.10 or lower.

Back to your questions. Focus on the hydrometer readings going forward more than the time involved. Thus, if you're targeting 0.996, for example, go by that rather than days. Keep the wine warm (perhaps 72-75F) and under airlock because you'll loose CO2 protection in the coming days.

There is an exception to my comment on the impact of days. Be certain you are continuing to have airlock activity and that fermentation has not stopped prematurely. Note that something like a bubble every 45 seconds or so will not be unusual.

wkingsnorth said:

I would leave in carboy for at least a week after initial racking before worrying if your fermenting has stopped. As you said, your current sg readings are 1.0 or less. Leave it for a week and note activity in airlock and then take another reading. What you want to trying to avoid is the fermentation process ending prematurely. Assume since it was a kit, your initial sg reading was probably about 1.5 or higher.

If your happy that the fermentation has stopped, then you can degas and add your sorbate and clearing additive. The only real advice I can give you is be patient....don't rush the process.

Iam not getting any airlock activity now. I will take a reading later this morning.

Let us know the reading but, irrespective of what it is, your best course is almost certainly to do nothing at this time. If the reading is satisfactory, leave it and take at least one more reading (preferably two) in the coming days. Only when you're satisfied the SG has not changed can you be confident fermentation has ended.

I would leave in carboy for at least a week after initial racking before worrying if your fermenting has stopped. As you said, your current sg readings are 1.0 or less. Leave it for a week and note activity in airlock and then take another reading. What you want to trying to avoid is the fermentation process ending prematurely. Assume since it was a kit, your initial sg reading was probably about 1.5 or higher.

If your happy that the fermentation has stopped, then you can degas and add your sorbate and clearing additive. The only real advice I can give you is be patient....don't rush the process.

Sounds good, except I think you missed a zero. I suspect you meant 1.050 rather than 1.5 as written.

TonyP said:
Sounds good, except I think you missed a zero. I suspect you meant 1.050 rather than 1.5 as written.

Yes, thanks for correction...little phone keyboard, fat fingers!

Ok, took a reading. It was 3 marks above the 1.00 mark. Not sure what that is as far as a reading. It was 2 lines below the .990 it has a VERY strong alcohol taste and smell. What do you guys call that rocket fuel?

Ok, took a reading. It was 3 marks above the 1.00 mark. Not sure what that is as far as a reading. It was 2 lines below the .990 it has a VERY strong alcohol taste and smell. What do you guys call that rocket fuel?

Two above 1.00 and three below .990 is .996, as each mark is .002. Without knowing the starting reading, alcohol can not be calculated to my knowledge, although there's probably a tool available to do it.

Last edited:
Depending on the kit, the usual starting SG is 1.070 to 1.080. To figure % of alcohol, Starting gravity - ending gravity x 133 = % alcohol. For example, if your kit started at 1.074 and ended at 0.996, then you would have an alcohol content of about 10.5% (10.374 to be exact). Not exactly rocket fuel, but okay for a wine.

I have reached .994 and am going to move to a sterilized carboy and add potassium metabisulphite. I tasted it and it now tastes more like wine.

I have reached .994 and am going to move to a sterilized carboy and add potassium metabisulphite. I tasted it and it now tastes more like wine.
I think it's too soon to move to carboy and add the K-meta. The sg is still changing (was .996, now ,994). It might drop to .992 or .990.

You still haven't mentioned what brand of White Zinfandel (unless I missed it), so tough to predict final sg. Based on your comments it MIGHT be Vineco or WineExpert. I would expect those to drop to .992 anyway.

Steve

Yes, as i mentioned earlier you really should get at least one more reading. Even at that, there's no urgency - an extra day or so is not of consequence. Let the yeast finish doing their work.

It feels like this is the spot where someone needs to stress patience. Like TonyP said, the yeast needs time to finish its job. I've seen it written a few places that the second greatest contributor to a failed wine/wine that did not reach its potential, behind sanitation, is the winemaker who rushes the job. Relax and grab a glass of commercial wine...before you know it you will be enjoying your own :0)

To test your wine ABV after the wine is finished you can use a vinometer. They are somewhat accurate and very inexpensive.

image-845005656.jpg

OK, the kit I bought was from Kraus. It was the California Connoisseur. The instructions were KenRidge, but I am not sure that is who made the juice. The target weight was supposed to be .995 according to the instructions. There has been no discernible activity with the batch. I tasted my sample and it tasted much better than the last time. Dry though.

Latest posts

Back