A couple questions about marquette

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exarkun

Junior
Reaction score
Hi. I've learned a lot of great information on this site and really appreciate it.

I'm growing a small amount of marquette grapes. I planted the vines last year and then pruned them back to 3 good buds. They are now really taking off and I am getting ready to build my trellis system. I'm thinking of going with Grapeman's modified GDC, like many others are.

My questions are:

1. For the angled bar used for the offset fruiting wires, how do you attach the wires to the bar?

2. Is it best to go with a double trunk on the modified GDC or one trunk? I live in zone 4 (30 minutes north of Minneapolis), which can get cold, but I'm not sure if a double trunk is necessary with marquette as they are cold hardy?

Thanks for the help!

1) Drill a 1/8 inch hole at each end of the bar and run the wire through it.
2) I use a double trunk to make it easier to train four ways. Also even though Marquette is Hardy, you still get dieback with it so the two trunks makes it easier to work.

Thank you.

My rows run North-South. Should I make the East or the West side of the bar be lower?

I would make the west side lower. The high side tends to be a bit more open which will dry morning dews faster and the lower side will dry better because of prevailing winds.

I would make the west side wire lower. That way you get the most intense afternoon sun on both wires.

Latest posts

Back