A Beer question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cindyjo

Reaction score
I know that this forum is mainly about wine but I know some of you brew beer and I was hoping you could help me. We had a large party yesterday and were expecting about 100 people. We decided to get a half keg of Bud to serve our guests. Well we only had about 35 people
smiley18.gif
so we have a lot left over in the keg. Is there anyway we can store this out of the kegs?? Can I put some of it into 1.5 L wine bottles and cork them!! I just hate the thought of paying for beer that is not drunk and I am not going to drink that much. People sadi they would stop by today but again no one came.I would apprectiate any suggestions. Thanks

I think you have 2 challenges - keeping it under pressure and keeping it cold.
If it is not kept under pressure it will obviously go flat (great for killing slugs, not so great for entertainment). I don't think you can use wine bottles for this as the pressure may be a problem in a still wine bottleand cork. A Champagne bottle / cork would be ok. You may also be able to store them for a short period of time in plastic soda bottles as they are designed to withstand carbonation pressures, but I don't think it would last for more than a day or two.

Either way, you'd want to keep it cold. Cooling down beer, warming it up, and cooling it down again couldskunk it.

If kept cold, it would keep for a full week in the keg without a problem, so you may want to host another party next week.

Good luck!

GrapeApe.

CJ, you can use beer bottles (import type, not the ones with a twist off cap) and champagne bottles. Regular wine bottles are not strong enough. Your other alternative is soda bottles. They will also hold the fizz.

The trick, which works best with glass, is to get everything as cold as you can (as in freezer) before you fill it. Then gently fill with minimal foaming and cap immediately.

Of course, since it is Bud, your best bet is to drain it into the kitchen sink and go buy a sixpack of Grolsch or Pilsner Uruquel. Now that's beer!

Latest posts

Back