8 days and SG still at 1.40

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeboy

Reaction score
Hi gang, I'm using a 28 day wine kit (merlot) from superstore ($40) . The instructions say after 7 days the SG should be at 1.20. I'm now on 8 days and its at 1.40. Any advice on what I should do from here?

What is the temp of your must? Has the SG moved at all in the last day or two? Have you stirred at all?

These will help in diagnosing if you have an issue, or just a slow ferment. Sometimes, a slightly lower temp will slow things down. What's important is to go by your SG, not the number of days. The number of days is an estimate.

A little more information would help us help you. What was your starting SG and what yeast did you use? With a Merlot, I would try to get the ambient temperature to about 75 F (about 24 C). Also, I think you mean that the SG is 1.040 and not 1.40 and that the kit says to move it to secondary at 1.020. I would not add anything to the wine at this time. I would try to warm it up a bit and give it a good stir to re-suspend the yeast.

Please let us know what, if anything, you've done. Exactly which kit is it? Also, what was the SG 8 days ago? Are you seeing activity?

Leeboy said:
Hi gang, I'm using a 28 day wine kit (merlot) from superstore ($40) . The instructions say after 7 days the SG should be at 1.20. I'm now on 8 days and its at 1.40. Any advice on what I should do from here?

Fermentation speed is dependent on several factors, but temperature is probably the reason why it's not quite there. I bet you are on the cool side. No need to worry, like the others have said, wait until your SG reaches 1.020.

Hey gang, I guess my house temperature is set at 62 f , I'm cheap with the heat. I threw the box away , and the instructions don't tell the brand even . It's just a 28 day wine kit from the grocery store. It's been quite active in the primary fermenter, hissing and bubbling. Also, the instructions, didn't say to stir it after the yeast was put in, so I just left it, but I just gave it a stir. Of course, I didn't take the gravity test when I poured the yeast in, now I know. So, is the cool temperature going to ruin it?

It won't ruin it, just slow down the process. I use a household heating pad to adjust the temperature of my must, if needed. I simply wrap it around the primary bucket. Just keep a close eye on the temperature - you don't want to take it too warm, either.

couple things to try...

1) heating pad or blanket to bring the temp up to around 68 - 72 degrees
2) stir the must really well to introduce some O2 to it
3) yeast energizer.....1/2 teaspoon per gallon

One more thought . Did you calibrate your Hydrometer Place it in pure water. It should read 1.000
Also be sure to spin it to get the bubbles off of the instrument.
Neither of these may often be a problem but some tutorials I have read mentioned these as good practices.
I did have a slow fermentaion on one of my first batches. I was around 68 degrees. I got a space heater and once I got it up to 75 it took off.

Hey gang, i got some good news. I gave it a good stir the other day as directed, turned up the heat in the basement, and i can now say it has dropped below the 1.020 . So, hopefully i get time tonight to move on to step 2, thanks again everyone .

Latest posts

Back