77 and rising

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZippoGeek

Junior
Reaction score
Hey all...I'm brand new here and would appreciate a little guidance with my first batch. It's an Island Mist Peach-Apricot Chardonnay.

My house has a steady temperature of 68. The kit instructions call for a must temperature of 72-75 degrees. When I added the yeast to the must (18 hours ago), it was 74.7 degrees. I put a brew belt on my primary to keep it warm and went to bed.

18 hours later, the must was at 77.4 degrees and rising. I just took the brew belt off. Have I ruined the batch?! What's the safe temperature ceiling for an Island Mist Chardonnay?

Also, is there some kind of automatic (i.e., with a thermostat) warming system for the primary and carboy?

Really enjoying all the info here. Thanks in advance!

I am fairly new to wine making. when my wine is in primary fermentation the temperature usually spikes to 77 or 78 degrees. Even if the the temp of my house is 70-72. I haven't noticed any negative effects

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Do you know what yeast you used? I am going to guess that this kit probably came with EC-1118, which can deal with temperatures up to 86F. I think you will be fine.

As for the thermostat, how handy are you? You can get get an inexpensive temperature controller from ebay for about $20.

Thanks Paul. Of course I don't remember what yeast I used...and I threw away the empty packet.

I'm not very handy at all. Looking for something off-the-shelf! I found this and wouldn't mind paying for it...do you suppose I could use it with the Brew Belt?

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/johnson-digital-temperature-controller.html

Grapeman,

Please for give me for "picking nits"...

I think that 86 degrees is the upper end of it's optimum fermentation temperature range?

I believe that the yeast will still survive in temperatures in excess of 100 degrees.

johnT.

Grapeman,

Please for give me for "picking nits"...

I think you are talking to me, right? (Not "THE" Grapeman.)

I think that 86 degrees is the upper end of it's optimum fermentation temperature range?

I believe that the yeast will still survive in temperatures in excess of 100 degrees.

johnT.

Yes, you are correct. I suppose "deal with" was a misleading term to have used.

In any case, Zippo, we think your yeast should be fine!

I got the A419 thermostat control today. Drilled two holes in a #10 rubber stopper: one for my airlock and another for the thermowell (temp sensor). Sanitized everything and dropped it into the carboy. This setup works like a charm. Now I don't have to constantly plug in and unplug the Brew Belt.

I love it when a plan comes together...:f1 Thanks for the tips!

I'm not very handy at all.

I got the A419 thermostat control today. Drilled two holes in a #10 rubber stopper: one for my airlock and another for the thermowell (temp sensor).

I thought you said you weren't handy? Next thing I hear, you're drilling holes! :)

Seriously, that sounds great. I am glad it worked out.

I thought you said you weren't handy? Next thing I hear, you're drilling holes! :)

LOL! In all honesty, they are some *very* ugly holes...but the airlock is bubbling nicely. it's amazing what we can do when you when we apply ourselves! :try

Latest posts

Back