4 Months:( Now What??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rube-a-Billy

Reaction score
Ok, it's been a while since i logged on and tended to my wine. I injured my back about 4 months ago and have neglected my wines.

I guess the good news is they have all been in the bulk aging process. Some are ready to bottle some may need to be racked and aged a little longer.
They all look good (as much as that can tell me), i have been able to smell a couple of them and don't detect any odd odors.

Since it has bee sooo long, are there any steps that should be taken to help revive these these wines, or should they be dumped:(

I would definitly add k-meta if you havn't already. It sould be added every 90 days during bulk aging.

Why on earth would you even consider dumping those wines? You have given them the time they need. Rack them into clean carboys with 1/4 tsp of k-meta per 5 or 6 gallon batch. If they need more time to clear- give it to them or bulk age more if the back needs more time or bottle them if ready.

I know exactly what you mean about back problems. The time in the carboy only improved your wine so dont even think about dumping. Like said above give them all the proper amount of sulfite and rack off sediment if need be first gently with as litte 02 exposure as possible especially if its a white wine as low sulfite levels and 02 can turn a white wine brown in a hurry!

been keeping the airlocks filled, the sulfites are what i didn't do.

wade said:
I know exactly what you mean about back problems. The time in the carboy only improved your wine so dont even think about dumping. Like said above give them all the proper amount of sulfite and rack off sediment if need be first gently with as litte 02 exposure as possible especially if its a white wine as low sulfite levels and 02 can turn a white wine brown in a hurry!

I understand the whole time thing and thanks. Many an article say rack and sulfite every 2 months. That's why i asked. I'm a rookie, and as a man there ain't many times that i read directions except when it comes to recipies. Hence the question. i will take your advise and watch the Oxygen. i will put a good puff of co2 and be gentle with all.

Thanks!!

Appleman
Why on earth would you even consider dumping those wines? You have given them the time they need. Rack them into clean carboys with 1/4 tsp of k-meta per 5 or 6 gallon batch. If they need more time to clear- give it to them or bulk age more if the back needs more time or bottle them if ready.

sorry App, i hope you were sitting down when you read that:)you probably had to catch yourself , take another drink or 2 and thought "these rookies are going to be the end of me".

Thanks to all for being my sounding board. I'm hoping to post a pic of the top of the Grapefruit. i would appreciate your thoughts the film or whatever you might call it scars me a bit.

It's an experiment. if it's still good i'll sugar and age. if it ages and is still blaaa. it might need to be boiled:)

Latest posts

Back