4 grams of Kmeta instead of 1/4 TSP

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejiang

Reaction score
I added Kmeta last night to my CC Amarone. I paid attention to the amount and I saw a '4 G' printed in the bag.

Is it normally 1/4 TSP?

I am not sure when and why you are adding the Kmeta. If you are stabilizing right after fermentation, you will need more Kmeta than if you are just adding a bit more Kmeta during bulk aging or possibly before bottling. The 1/4 tsp is more for topping up the free SO2 level during aging and before bottling.

If you are making a kit, just follow the directions and add the packet of Kmeta when they say to add it. You will be fine.

Thanks Robie, yes I am making a kit. And it was added during the stablizing. I calculated the SO2 to be 93 PPM. Is that too high?

(4/23,000)x54%x1000,000=93 PPM

Thanks Robie, yes I am making a kit. And it was added during the stablizing. I calculated the SO2 to be 93 PPM. Is that too high?

(4/23,000)x54%x1000,000=93 PPM

There is bound-up SO2 and free SO2. Much of that first dose of SO2 get immediately bound up and doesn't contribute to the protection of the wine like the free part still left of the dose of SO2. If you add that Kmeta, wait a few hours, then take a free SO2 measurement, you will see that it isn't as high as you might have thought.

Until the amount of SO2 added reaches a fairly high amount, up to 50% of each dose is immediately bound up, depending on several factors, such as the amount of oxygen in the wine at the time. Keep in mind I am not a chemist.

Robie is correct but I would also like to add that during the clearing and stabilizing process with a kit there is allot of free so2 stirred off. Free so2 dissipates through the wine surface. Stirring accelerates that process so the addition the manufacturer puts in is actually mostly gone by the time the clearing is done.

Latest posts

Back