30 bottle kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've made wine in demi johns lots of times but this week I invested in a 'Ballihoo' 40 pint plastic bin and bought a 30-bottle Rose kit to make a bigger batch of wine than usual. The lid fits tightly and has a hole in the top into which a standard plastic airlock fits. I set it away and the fermentation has begun as there a load of froth on the top of the wine. But the airlock is not bubbling as a 1-gallon batch would normally. Instead this morning the lid was bulging upwards with the gas, and I had to loosen it and open it slightly to let it escape. So the gas is clearly not escaping through some other outlet - this has got me beat. I've checked everything, the bottom of the airlock isn't blocked, the wine is fermenting, why isn't it coming up through the airlock as it would with a 1-gallon batch? Can anyone throw any light on this? Like I say it's got me beat.

Can you post some pics?

It sounds like the bottom of your bung is pinched and not allowing any pressure release (and saying that in my head has me questioning my word choice... :db ).

There’s no obstruction at all in your airlock?

Last edited:
the lid should not be on tight. at this stage of the fermentation the co2 gas give plenty of protection. the lid should be loose no need for an airlock. additionally stirring the fermentation twice daily will add some oxygen to assist the yeast in doing therir job. once sg is about 1020 or less than rack into a carboy and add airlock.

the lid should not be on tight. at this stage of the fermentation the co2 gas give plenty of protection. the lid should be loose no need for an airlock. additionally stirring the fermentation twice daily will add some oxygen to assist the yeast in doing therir job. once sg is about 1020 or less than rack into a carboy and add airlock.

Sal - I agree with you on this. Primary should allow for more oxygen. But, that doesn't solve his immediate problem. Why isn't the airlock doing what it should?

One thing you can try - after insuring that your airlock isn't obstructed is to push it all the way through your bung (so the tip is showing on the other end) AND THEN insert the bung into your vessel. See if that makes a difference.

Latest posts

Back