Mosti Mondiale 2008 WineMaker Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TankCa

Reaction score
First, congratulations to George for taking a couple medals at the competition. However, if I'm reading this right, George was the only winner of a Mosti Meglioli wine kit. Hundreds of winners from WineExpert, Cellar Craft, RJS and others but only 1 Meglioli, 3 Bodega Ports and 1 AllJuice medal. Looked like MM didn't do very well.

What's the deal? Why do you think there were so few Mosti winners?

To download the results of the 2008 WineMaker International Amateur Wine Competition, click on this link:

http://winemakermag.com/feature/782.html

I got 2 Silvers, both Barolos. One for a Masters Edition, the other for a Meglioli. There were a total of 13 medals for Mosti product altogether I believe. There aren't as many entered over all as the other companies.

Phyllis...sorry and congratulations to you also. I must have missed it somehow.

There apparently were a few but not a whole lot for MM compared to the other kit makers. Just wondering why so few.

I've done 3 Megliolis this year (Barolo, Rojo Intensio and Rojo Grande) and thought they would have done better.

Steve

Mosti is a fairly small brand. In addition, they have not focused on the Winemaker competitions like Spagnols and Winexpert. The bottom line is that not that many MM's are entered compared with the other brands. I am to change that trend!

I would also point out that the number wine kit last year according to the Winemakere Mag competition was the Orchard Breezin' Kiwi Melon Pinot Grigio which Ithink speaks volume about the competition.
It should also be noted that the MM were 2007. Most of the other winners were 2006 and older.

Enough said.

Thanks! And I too really love the big reds specially Meglioli and Masters Ed.

Phyllis,

Congrats on the medals! Did you follow the instructions of the kits or did you tweak?

For the curiousity of the few statistics I've gathered thusfar, in the Pinot category and considering on the kit wines that medalled, 58% were RJ Spagnols, 18% Winexpert, and 12% Cellar Craft. The RJ Spagnols 2007 En Primeur New Zealand Pinot Noir pushed the number of 2007 kit wine winners up to the 42% level. Two of the people that made medal-winning kits this year also won medals last year. 12% of the kits that medalled were also limited edition kits.

I'll post more info as I compile it around moving my habitation zone.

- Jim

I stuck to the kit, it's pretty darn good as is. They're very rich full juices. There's a lot of things about the Meglioli line that is very different than any other kit out there. And Masters Edition too, is excellent. But Rojo Intenso is my favorite of all time. I won a silver 2 years ago with it.

Glad to hear you say that Phyllis. I have the Rojo Intenso bulk aging now.
A Meglioli Barolo waiting to be started too.
Congratulations on your medals.

Congratulations to George too.

I can say now I won't be entering any--if I really like a wine, I'm too cheap to give up two bottles for a competition. I might do a swap with someone else or give to close friends and family, but that's about it. But I plan to let these age 2 years before opening the first one.

I know that's the problem, giving up your precious wines. But with me owning the wine shop it's worth it if I win, for the bragging rights. There are 7 shops altogether in our area with only about 45,000 pop. which is too many, shops that is. So if I'm winning awards personally it sets me apart from the rest.

I used to not keep my wines long enough. We call it trunk aging around here. I'm not quite that bad, but anyway, the solution for me was making a lot of wine. That way I simply have enough that some can get put aside to age nicely.

Phyllis, congrats on your silver medals!!!!
smiley4.gif

I wish Winemaker Magazine would post the volume of particular kits entered versus winners. That would be more meaningful. My perception is that WE and CC are extremely dominant players and very few of the entries are MM products.

Of the kits I entered, 2 were MM and the other 2 were WE. Mosti is fairly new to the market and they are pure juice kits. Because of that, and working with other wine kits, the MM kits act as a vineyard wine which requires longer periods of maturing. I've noticed my WE kits will start to lose its "complexity" over a period of time depending on the kit. MM kits to me have more appeal to a traditional wine process and the way the tannins react over time, well, there is a huge difference from "alljuice" to "concentrate" as are many of the wine kits. As you all get more familiar with the various products you will identify this yourselves and you'll get very familiar with the end result. This is how I began tweaking the recipies. I actually run my WE kits very similar to MM and I DO NOT add water. Still, I do tweak the MM kits to bulk aging and extended lees contact. The key is patience and MM kits demand it, but the result is award winning.

When you say you do not add water are you saying you don't add water to top up or you don't add water at the start to take the kit from 18 liters to 23 liters?

Steve

As John points out so well, MM is fairly new to the market place. To my knowledge, I am the only MM retailer in the U.S. to carry the complete line. In addition, MM has not pushed customers to enter into competitions, but I intend to change that and between Mark, Joseph and I, we will enter 45 wines next year. Some will be only 1 year old, but some will be 2 plus years old. We want to determine what it takes to win medals and pass on the knowledge.
Got my medals today and as Waldo would say..."they sure look purdy!"

Hey Steve,

Thanks for pointing out the water on my part. I do add a little water at the first mix. But what I do next might be over kill. I buy 3 bottles of cheapest wine of the batch I'm making and then dilute with water. I then add to the concentrate, mix and then add my yeast. Yes, from there, I then keep topping off with the same wine I mixed for my diluent. Hope this clarifies the water comment I made.

When George submits his 2+ year old wines it will make a huge
difference...personally it helps if you have a cellar with 800+ bottles.

In my experience the bigger 15L+ red wine kits require 18-24 months to
fully develop and magically transform into very good wine. When
bottling now I look for a very green, harsh taste as this is a direct
correlation to how much aging potential the wine has. My best wines
have been horrible at 6-12 months and it is a wonderful experience when
they eventually turn into nectar.

20080529_065311_800a.jpg
20080529_065648_800b.jpg

Edited by: fiat84

geocorn said:
As John points out so well, MM is fairly new to the market place. To my knowledge, I am the only MM retailer in the U.S. to carry the complete line. In addition, MM has not pushed customers to enter into competitions, but I intend to change that and between Mark, Joseph and I, we will enter 45 wines next year. Some will be only 1 year old, but some will be 2 plus years old. We want to determine what it takes to win medals and pass on the knowledge.
Got my medals today and as Waldo would say..."they sure look purdy!"

And the pictures of them are where.........................????
smiley4.gif

By chance did anyone who won medals from MM get a letter and/or token for a kit per medal won or anything? I did get my response from Winexpert whom are very quick to respond. Warningfor those who win 3 or more medals...Winexpert will only give out 2 free kits per winemaker. So if youmedal with3 or more kits, then you are SOL! No problem for me since I won 2 with Winexpert and 2 with MM. Just a littledissappointed that MM did not recognize the winners or maybe they did and I was overlooked.

Latest posts

Back