2 gallon lid seal

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conan1

High Tech Redneck
Reaction score
I have a 6 gallon primary that has a rubber seal in the lid which works well. I recently purchased a 2 gallon primary for smaller batches but it doesn't have a rubber seal and doesn't completely seal. I have been cutting 1/4 inch wide ribbons of clean paper towels and putting them into the lid in order to complete the seal. This works but does anyone know where or how I could find or fabricate a better seal for this lid? I don't like using paper towels due to possible bacterial growth. Thanks Ed

I would just set the lid on top to keep ambient particles/bugs/beagles out and not worry about the seal. O2 is a necessary component for a growing yeast culture.

I agree with Jason. I just rest the lid of the primary and don't sna it down. There are others that will ferment to dry in the primary, a good seal is probably more important in that scenario.

Options could include:

Buy a new lid for a gallon primary that has the seal and remove and adjust the seal.

Home Depot or Lowes must have some sort of rubber window/door seal that could be trimmed to fix. West Marine (boats use all sorts of gaskets) may have some thing that would work.

Good luck

Heck I just drape a cheesecloth over my primary. I secure it with a rubber band and let the yeast have all of the O2 they want during primary

You really don't need an airtight seal in the primary unless you're fermenting to dry. Just a lid. I doubt that paper towels would make it airtight anyway.
Good Luck!

I use a 2 gallon glass jar and just drape a clean bar towel over the top and secure it with a string. I have had no issues. Like everyone says you just want to get all the dust, bugs ant things out of it.

As stated you don't have to have an airtight seal. When my musts get to 1.000 or lower I will snap on a lid with airlock to help keep oxygen out. Some don't seal tight but I'm keeping the air movement out as we move back and forth in the basement.

I'm just reducing the "flow" of air in that specific area. Some is okay at the end. Your musts do need air during fermentation.

Latest posts

Back