110L Speidel Variable Capacity Tank Lid problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trumpet32

Junior
Reaction score
I purchased a used 110L Speidel VCT tank. The lid is not flat. It is made that the center bung hole hits the wine first and the outer lid has about 1/2 inch space from the wine. I thought the lid should rest flat on the wine with no airspace. When I pump up the gasket, wine leaks out of the bung hole. Has anyone experienced this?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but have you got the airlock in place? Whilst not using Spiedel, my VC tank lids are the same - they are slightly convex with the centre hole at the lowest point. With the air lock attached, I will let the lid float on the wine before slowly pumping up the tube. Have not had any issues with this.

I purchased a used 110L Speidel VCT tank. The lid is not flat. It is made that the center bung hole hits the wine first and the outer lid has about 1/2 inch space from the wine. I thought the lid should rest flat on the wine with no airspace. When I pump up the gasket, wine leaks out of the bung hole. Has anyone experienced this?
I noticed the same thing. I actually just pushed the lid inwards to reverse the slope of the lid. I have had no problems since. And now the hole is the highest point.

Latest posts

Back