1 step cleanser

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodfella

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I went into a beer and wine making store today to get some potassium metabisulfite for sanitizing my equiptment. The guy pretty much insisted that I get "1 step" no rinse cleanser instead.

It claims "cleans with oxygen. Does not contain chlorine, bisulfites, organic compounds or phosphates"

What do you guys think??????

I think it's a great "Cleanser" but it is no substitute for sanitizing.

I use the generic oxyclean (similar to 1 step but needs rinsing) and I have a no-rinse cleaner that I use when I'm feeling lazy - - hm, actually it's "1 step", previously I had Easy Clean (same difference really). That is used to clean the bottles, carboys etc. and THEN I sanitize with metabisulfite.

I most definitely wouldn't use 1 step to stabilize my wine!!! For that there truly is NO substitute.

see the article George has about Cleaning vs. Sanitizing -
http://www.finevinewines.com/Cleaning-versus-Sanitizing.htm

Goodfella, it is a great "cleanser"!!! But you still need a sanitizer!!

I would still sanitize. Wouldn't want to skip a step and pay for it later.

I use Oxyclean or the brand Sun Cleaner to clean but I still use K-Meta to sanitize. Why take a chance? The "no rinse" states that it doesn't contain bisulfites which is a good sanitizer.

Goodfella said:
What do you guys think??????

I think if you really need to shop there make a list and just get those items and then get out. Other wise just shop on line at FVW's - you'll be happier and know no one is leading you down the wrong path.
VC

Latest posts

Back