1 gallon wine recipe with alexanders?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeyfmx

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the forum and new to winemaking. I want to make a gallon of wine with alexanders chardonnay and know I will need a fruit wine type kit to get started, as I see it has all the additives. I dont know how much juice to use w/water, how much sugar to add, additives, etc, I am super new to this and the reason Im not doing a standard 6 gal kit wine thats easier is because I have grape vines growing and am kinda making it hard on myself by learning measurements and all of that with a one gallon kit. Any recipes and or help/ guidance is highly appreciated!

Hi joeyfmx,

Welcome to winemakingtalk. I have never used the Alexander's juice but does it say on the can how much wine it will make? If the can makes 3 gallon of wine, then divide the can into 3's.

You really need to go to our tutorial section and at least read the basics of winemaking AND GET A HYDROMETER! Sorry, it is like driving a car with a blindfold on if you are trying to make wine without one.

The very best way for you to start is buy a kit and following the instructions on the kit.

As far as one gallon batches go, that is fine if you are experimenting with flavors but really not worth the time and effort of making wine.

Last edited:
re

Thank you Julie! I have read some of the tutorials and alot of reading online and have come close to a recipe / instructions to make one gallon of wine with alexanders juice. I only want to make one gallon batches for now so that if I screw up, its just a few bottles of wine, and I really want to use my own grapes when the time comes, a 6 gal typical kit imo will not teach me a whole lot because its step by step and a shallow learning curve, everything seems measured out, and I feel a one gallon kit will at least get me used to measurements and the additives, and yes, experimenting. This way when the time comes and I use fresh juice I have a little less of an obstacle in the way as far as getting all of the measurements correct, such as ph, tannins, acids, brix, etc.

those are very good points but Joeyfmx I hate to tell you this but you are probably going to make some very good wines. I can tell by how conscientious you are being and you are going to be real sorry when you suck down that wine and there is nothing left. :)

Trust me we all have been, you are gonna wish you made more. So just be prepared after that first one gallon, you are going to going out to buy 5 and 6 gallon carboys and looking at anything you think will ferment.

well like Julie said one thnig you really need is a hydrometer it makes things so much easier they're not expensive. Once you got one it will be kinda easy to make your own recipe so to speak, for the most part.

soooooo true you'll be wanting to try everything lol

You should also get a ph tester. I got one so I can do grapes. Very easy to use over colored paper strips.

i've got alexander's reisling, gewurtz, and merlot all started. i made a gallon and half because anything under that ended up being to high of a s.g for me.the reisling is coming along good. the gewurtz and merlot smell great and are starting to clear.

Awesome!

Thanks for the comments! I found a one gallon recipe it calls for 1/2 a can of alexanders, so im going to do 2 and experiment. Not sure if Im gonna use bentonite in the beginning tho.

re

Hey there, yes they are doing ok but I did a muscato and think I fermented them too warm, resulting in too fast! about 4 or 5 days and my closet is at about 78 degrees, (its summertime in arizona and the ac bill will skyrocket the cooler I go), sg at 1080, but the wine is strong and a bit harsh, but its only a few months since I started them. Also alot of gas. I did the sorbate and so2 a few weeks back then back sweetened with sugar as well as topping off with a sweet moscato wine. The wine is pretty clear, the only finning agent I used was isinglass. Ive racked a couple of times and I have the gallon in the fridge at 38 degrees to stabilize , then Ill rack once more and then bottle. Ive learned now that in arizona I should do whites in the winter and reds in the summer, until I get my extra fridge and temp controller. I started with 2 gallons off of one can , one using 1122 yeast, the other cort de blanc yeast, now one gallon off of the 2 racked, the lees were a bit fluffy and I needed the carboy. What varietal of grape are you doing? Keep me posted on this thread how you did yours and the progress!

Last edited:
soooooo true you'll be wanting to try everything lol

You got that right! I got cranberry and apple going now as well, and hope to find fresh wine grapes from someone in arizona with a vineyard thats willing to sell some.

Latest posts

Back