1.100?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just-a-Guy

Reaction score
I mixed up an apricot wine yesterday. Two cans of Vintner's Harvest apricot, in the fermenter, 10 lbs table sugar, topped up to just shy of 5 gals (added acid blend, kmeta, pectic enzyme, tannin). I want this to be a pretty rich flavored and colored wine, which I plan to backsweeten to almost dessert wine levels. SG at end of mix 1.090. I figured that would be ok.

This morning, before pitching yeast, I checked and it is now showing 1.100. Probably the apricots adding sugar? Ya reckon that will work out ok? Or should I add some water? Not wanting to thin it too much....

TIA,

JAG

I would add some water to bring sg between 1.080 and 1.090. You can always add an f-pac down the road

What size carboys do you have? I would add enough water to get it to just a bit more than the closest carboy size. That should get you to close to the target SG Julie is saying. That assumes you are fermenting in a bucket- if not you probably should be.

Thanks. I have 5 and 3 gallon carboys (not 6 or 6.5, actual 5 gallon ones), plus 1 and 1/2 gallon clear jugs. I am fermenting in a 7 gallon ss conical fermenter. My plan for this batch was to have enough in the primary to fill a 3 gallon carboy and a 1 gallon jug, and to use the 1 gal for testing and topping up. I think once the apricots come out, that's about what I have now.

If you use it as is with 1.100 the alcohol level will be a bit higher and might mask the flavors you are looking for. That's why Julie suggests cutting it back a bit.

We are always interested on how wines turn out, please post up how this turns out.

I will, Julie, thank you. I have 9 batches fermenting right now. All kinds of crazy mixes and screw-ups. :) Hopefully a few turn out good. Not sure what I'm gonna do when it comes bottling time....

When I first started out I had all kinds of "of crazy mixes and screw-ups". Lol, believe it or not they came out fine and I am sure yours will also. Just remember each batch comes out getter than the last, so as long as the first batches are drinkable it just gets better!

I totally agree with Julie, Apricot and peach wines are very subject to increase SG from the fruit in the first 24 to 48 hours, They are also the most likely to have their flavor masked by high alcohol content, So it is a case of the lesser of two evils. I thing the dilution caused by adding enough water to reduce the SG will have less impact on the flavor than an extremely high alcohol content would. IMHO

Latest posts

Back