1.010?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cimbaliw

8 year veteran
Reaction score
I just racked an Eclipse cab to secondary after 7 days on the skins as the instructions said. The SG was .990. Would it have been better to have racked earlier at 1.010? I fermented in a brute trash can with a muslin cloth over the top. I've read several opinions on both sides of the argument.

BC

Ask this question of 11 winemakers, get 12 answers. It might have been a bit better to rack a little sooner, but you didn't. It will be fine and turn it just great. I would still wait several days, with it under airlock, before adding chemicals and clearing. There are chemical processes going on in there, even though it isn't doing active fermentation.

I just racked an Eclipse cab to secondary after 7 days on the skins as the instructions said. The SG was .990. Would it have been better to have racked earlier at 1.010? I fermented in a brute trash can with a muslin cloth over the top. I've read several opinions on both sides of the argument.

BC
Although many winemakers would have wanted to rack at about 1.010, in this case I have a strong preference to leave the wine on the grape skins for the full 7 days. In my mind, this permits the full extraction (of whatever) from the skins that the manufacturer planned for.

Steve

The instructions for my RJS WS Super Tuscan, which is in day 6 of primary, say to rack @ 1.020 or lower. Parenthetically the instructions suggest this happens (Day 6-8). I think you're fine.

BTW, yesterday morning the my SG was 1.040. Judging from the fermentation activity (sealed the lid and put an airlock on after taking yesterday's reading) I suspect I'll be racking to "secondary" tomorrow (Thursday) or Friday... day 7 or 8.

Edit/Update: SG measured about an hour ago was 1.024 so it looks like I'll be racking tomorrow and will be below the "ideal" 1.020.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I feel much better about things now. I think in the future, around the 1.020-1.010 mark, I may simply hammer the lid on the primary and put an airlock in the grommet and ride out the 7 days. As of this phase of the journey, I'm obsessed with tannins and other phenolic compounds provided by the seeds and skins.

Bill C.

Latest posts

Back