Aging in bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qyhcat

Reaction score
What are the key differences, in terms of results, between bottle aging and carboy aging?

In my experience, aging in a carboy vs. aging in a bottle allows me to make more easily any adjustments to the wine and, because I do not use fining agents unless absolutely needed, allows for natural clearing. It would seem to me that bottling sooner would lock some additional sediment in the bottle. From a finished product standpoint, I have seen little other difference.

What are the key differences, in terms of results, between bottle aging and carboy aging?

Aging in the carboy under airlock allows K-meta AND CO2 to dissipate and vent. Don't have to worry about degassing issues. In addition, you can address sediments from clearing before you put them in the bottle!! The process of the wine aging will take place no matter the vessel,,, it's the residuals and consistencies of tweaking that a carboy/barrel gives you access to.

Last edited:
in the mix

For me once the wine is cleared ,it's time to bottle and age ad is,get to taste as you go along ,remember most of kit maker's it's,3,5_6 gallons at a time for that reason bottling makes sense to me.:HB

As others have said, if there is any tweaking you want to do or clearing needed, having it in the carboy gives you the opportunity to do so. However if you're done messing with it and it's just aging, the bottle is probably a better place for it in my opinion. The surface area of wine to O2 exposure is different in bottles and carboys, and the O2 transfer through the cork is a lot different than whatever you're using on the carboy. It's certainly a nuance, but not a trivial one. And there's no absolute rule... 2 respected experts in home wine making do completely different things. If I remember correctly, Tim Vandergrift bottles as soon as appropriate, while Danial Pambianchi has carboys of wine a decade old.

Latest posts

Back