Plumeria wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stressbaby

Just a Member
Reaction score
Jack Keller posted this recipe for Plumeria flower wine about a year and a half ago. I started it last month and racked it for the first time yesterday. Of the 6 wines I racked yesterday, this one was the clear leader (Persian lime-second, Hibiscus/ginger-third, Pumpkin-meh, Persimmons-see other thread).

6 cups fragrant plumeria flowers petals or 5 cups plumeria petals
8 fl oz 100% pure white grape juice frozen concentrate
water to 1 gallon
2 lbs granulated sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1/4 tsp grape tannin
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 finely crushed Campden tablet
1 tsp yeast nutrient
general purpose wine yeast in starter solution
Pick the flowers just before starting, so they're fresh. Do not pick any that haven't fully opened yet. Boil 7 pints water and stir in sugar, acid blend, grape tannin, finely crushed Campden tablet, and yeast nutrient until dissolved, then pour over flowers in a primary, stirring gently to submerge flowers. Concurrently, activate yeast in starter solution and tend to it until needed. Cover the primary with clean cloth or plastic wrap and set in a warm place for about 24 hours. Add thawed grape concentrate, pectic enzyme and yeast starter solution and re-cover the primary. Set aside until vigorous fermentation subsides, stirring daily, but do not exceed 10 days. Strain liquid into secondary fermentation vessel and attach an airlock without topping up. When fermentation stops, top up. Rack after 30 days, then again after additional 30 days. Wait additional 30 days and stabilize wine with potassium sorbate and finely crushed and dissolved Campden tablet. Wait 2-4 weeks to prove stability but do not sweeten. Bottle when clear and store in dark, cool place. It will be fit to drink in about 4 months, but will improve enormously if allowed to mature a year.

Notes: The flowers can be frozen. However, if you are like me and you don't get a lot of flowers at once, repeatedly opening the same bag to store the flowers will eventually result in some oxidation and browning of the older flowers. I found that if you just put 2-3 batches in a small sandwich baggie, squeeze out all the air each time, and don't open it more than those 2-3 times (when needed, start a new baggie instead) then the browning will be greatly diminished.

Each flower snaps off pretty cleanly, but the green base of each flower still contains a little latex. I cut those off (about 1/4"). The flower will remain intact.

I couldn't measure flowers by volume because mine were mostly frozen. Therefore, I counted out a small sample of fresh petals and extrapolated. I ended up using 88 flowers, prepared as above, in a 1 gal batch. It is certainly possible that one could use fewer flowers if they were fresh.

Edit: Mods, if this belongs in Special Interest Wines instead, feel free to move.

Last edited:
FWIW, we drank the first 375 of this wine last night and it was amazing. It is drinkable very early (obviously). The primary aroma was clearly and unmistakably Plumeria. It was balanced without backsweetening. Now as I see the blooms forming on the trees this spring I'm getting excited to try another batch!

We have a ton of flowers forming now too, did you follow the recipe exactly or make any tweeks you want to share. I put together about 2 gallons of Honeysuckle a few weeks ago but think the Plumeria would be fun to try out.
Mike

No tweaks. OG was 1.094, finished at 0.992. TA was 6.5. pH started at 3.4, finished 3.44.

Back