Bigjeff's wine making thread :)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel ist faster. I like it. The extra $ is nothing..

wine will still last as long? I mean for a few $$ and enjoy my wine 5-6 months earlier...why the heck not!? lol

Last as long? Not if you start drinking it earlier!

.. But it should age just fine either way

this morning, I pressed my blueberry pulp (well I twisted the bag for lack of a fruit press ;) ), I dissovled my sugar in 1 gal of hot water (I put 1KG less to start since I had a lot of juice). I added grape concentrate (4 cups) and I did an acid test, got a reading of 2.5 so I added the acid blend. Than I took the S.G and got a readding of 1.080 so I decided against adding the extra KG of suggar. I then took the temp of the must, it was sitting at 72 so I added my yeast starter:)

I didn't put any yeast mutrient/energizer...should I?

this morning, I pressed my blueberry pulp (well I twisted the bag for lack of a fruit press ;) ), I dissovled my sugar in 1 gal of hot water (I put 1KG less to start since I had a lot of juice). I added grape concentrate (4 cups) and I did an acid test, got a reading of 2.5 so I added the acid blend. Than I took the S.G and got a readding of 1.080 so I decided against adding the extra KG of suggar. I then took the temp of the must, it was sitting at 72 so I added my yeast starter:)

I didn't put any yeast mutrient/energizer...should I?

Yes add nutrirent and energizer if you have.. Blueberry needs help for the yeast

the juice is already fuzzing up....at least i must hae done something right!!! ;)
IMG00038-20101003-1236.jpg

:slp No the recipe I had said to discard it so I did....
How bad did I screw up?:(

It's now energizing the dirt in my garden :(
Should have posted recipe.
We leave the fruit in till the gravity gets 1.020 then remove. There are all those sugars and tannin that would have been extracted and would add more body..
Stil should come out ok but we learn from our miscues..

There are all those sugars and tannin that would have been extracted and would add more body..
Stil should come out ok but we learn from our miscues..

I taught that's what the grape concentrate was for...oh well I'll know next time!!!:re

qustion: Ive got 2 kits that would be ready to bottle (stabilised, degased & clarified) But I want to bluk age them for 6months before bottleing them.

They just finished clearing, should I rack, add 1/4 tps k-meta or just leave it in the carboy it's in now for three months?

Thx!:d

qustion: Ive got 2 kits that would be ready to bottle (stabilised, degased & clarified) But I want to bluk age them for 6months before bottleing them.

They just finished clearing, should I rack, add 1/4 tps k-meta or just leave it in the carboy it's in now for three months?

Thx!:d

If you only have fine lees on the bottom I would not rack. Let them compact more, then rack in three months. How long has it been since you added k-meta. Only 1/4 tsp every three months. If you are ready to add it now I would desolve it in a few ounces of water and gently stir it in try not to stir up the lees.

If you only have fine lees on the bottom I would not rack. Let them compact more, then rack in three months. How long has it been since you added k-meta. Only 1/4 tsp every three months. If you are ready to add it now I would desolve it in a few ounces of water and gently stir it in try not to stir up the lees.

thx for the info!
I only just added the k-meta from the kit about 15 days ago...I'm going to rack it somewhere around christmas then :)

:u

I racked my blueberry wine tonight...tastes good even with the ferment in it!! :)

I now have a very nice blueberry slurry for my next SP :happy

here's a couple pics (I know I'm going to hell, I used a 2l plastic bottle as a secondary fermenter...I coudl'nt trow out all that good wine );)

Slurry:

slurrybleuetoct2010.jpg

Wine:

Bleuetoct2010-2.jpg

i was missing an airlock, so I put a plastic bag with a loose elastic until I can get to the store ;)

Busy night this evening!
starting a kit of White Zinfadel, SP#2 and hard ice tea #1!!

Latest posts

Back