Lessons learned....(or do not do what I did)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGJEFF

Reaction score
I'm sharing a list of things I have learned on this forum or eslewhere, quite often by making mistakes!
Feel free to add your own, I'll edit the main tread as we go. It could be a quick reference for any begginner!

1.Do what Tom says...:)

2.Cheap kits make cheap wines (sometimes useful, I serve it when people had to much to really appreciate the real good stuff...I also give it to free loaders ;)

3.Start slowly when you degas with a drill

4. plan space in your carboy for your additives before topping up!

5. If you leave K-meta solution in your stored carboys, don't breath in the fumes as the wine pushes them out! (fixed that for Dan ;) )

6.Put your sorbate & K-meta in an empty clean pop bottle with a little bit of water to dissolve, use like a shaker.

7.USE A FUNNEL (when adding stuff to the wine , NOT TO RACK!!!)

8.Make sure your tubing fits your filter BEFORE pumping wine into it!

9.When making fruit wine, adjust your ingredients to make 1 extra gallon (ex: if you make a 6 gallon batch, make a 7 gallon recipe in your primary).I then rack the extra gallon in a 1 gallon jug with an airlock and use it instead of water to top up before stabilising, if you don't need it, just finish it and enjoy it with the rest ;).

10.get stoppers small enough to fit an airlock on a wine bottle and keep different format of bottles handy, that way when you use the method above, you can save the rest in one of thos smaller containers...1 more bottle of good wine is always better in the cellar than down the drain.:dg

11.When starting, ALWAYS read de recipe or instruction before starting the wine, re-reding before each step. Some kit will have different steps (like wineexperts that doesn't want you to rack before clearing)

12. When it comes to equipment, always have a spare (as your finances permit).

13. Always check that the valve (at the bottom) is CLOSED before racking into a tank.

14. One of the best pieces of equipment I own is a "cork puller". This is an "L" shaped gizmo with a "T" handle that is used for extracting corks that have been pushed into a bottle. This little thing is perfect for pulling out stoppers that are stuck in the neck of a jug. Just pull out the fermentation lock, slip in the "L" rod through the center hole, and give her a firm yank. Total cost was about $3

that's it for now...I'm dure there will be more!!
Fell free to aff your own, I'll update the list as we go!!

Last edited:
I'm sharing a list of things I have learned on this forum or eslewhere, quite often by making mistakes!
Feel free to add your own, I'll edit the main tread as we go. It could be a quick reference for any begginner!

2.Cheap kits make cheap wines
4. plan space for your additives before topping up!
5. If you leave K-meta solution in your stored carboys, let them air out a little before raking wine in them
6.Put your sorbate & K-meta in an empty clean pop bottle with a little bit of water to dissolve, use like a shaker.
7.USE A FUNNEL

that's it for now...I'm dure there will be more!!
Fell free to aff your own!!

1. Let me tell you a story about Tom..LOL just kidding!
2. Cheap kits can be tweaked and are good patio drinks. Also good to have for people that don't like good wine.
3. hehehehe been there done that
5. I do not let them air out as the incoming wine will push out the vapors and its good protection

1. Let me tell you a story about Tom..LOL just kidding!
2. Cheap kits can be tweaked and are good patio drinks. Also good to have for people that don't like good wine.
3. hehehehe been there done that
5. I do not let them air out as the incoming wine will push out the vapors and its good protection

2. I didn't say cheap wine didn't have it's usees :)
5.I never taught of it that way...I was thinking of the time I wanted to smell my wine and nearly passed out from the k-meta fumes lol!!

Excellent thread idea!

As a beginner, I appreciate all the tips and techniques you guys have to share. They leave so much out of the instructions, things that you really can't learn except by mistake. And I'd much rather learn from your mistakes than mine ;)

here's 2 I forgot:
-When making fruit wine, adjust your ingredients to make 1 extra gallon (ex: if you make a 6 gallon batch, make a 7 gallon recipe in your primary).I then rack the extra gallon in a 1 gallon jug with an airlock and use it instead of water to top up before stabilising, if you don't need it, just finish it and enjoy it with the rest ;).
-get stoppers small enough to fit an airlock on wine bottle and keep different format of bottles handy, that way when you use the method above, you can save the rest in one of thos smaller containers...1 more bottle of good wine is always good.:dg

Another good one...
When starting, ALWAYS read de recipe or instruction before starting the wine, re-reding before each step.

Point taken..

Hoping it wasn't used to rack..

I almost didn't follow #11 today and started racking while I was re-reading the instructions for my white Zinfadel...good thing I only had about 2-3 cups in the new carboy when I stopped it and pourred it back in the original carboy!!

2.Cheap kits make cheap wines (sometimes useful, I serve it when people had to much to really appreciate the real good stuff...I also give it to free loaders ;)
4. plan space in your carboy for your additives before topping up!
5. If you leave K-meta solution in your stored carboys, don't breath in the fumes as the wine pushes them out! (fixed that for Dan ;) )
7.USE A FUNNEL (when adding stuff to the wine , NOT TO RACK!!!)
9.When making fruit wine, adjust your ingredients to make 1 extra gallon (ex: if you make a 6 gallon batch, make a 7 gallon recipe in your primary).I then rack the extra gallon in a 1 gallon jug with an airlock and use it instead of water to top up before stabilising, if you don't need it, just finish it and enjoy it with the rest ;).
10.get stoppers small enough to fit an airlock on a wine bottle and keep different format of bottles handy, that way when you use the method above, you can save the rest in one of thos smaller containers...1 more bottle of good wine is always better in the cellar than down the drain.:dg
11.When starting, ALWAYS read de recipe or instruction before starting the wine, re-reding before each step. Some kit will have different steps (like wineexperts that doesn't want you to rack before clearing)

1. Tom who? Tommy Smothers?

2. Depends on your tastes and what you mean by cheap. Some are pretty good, especially some of the whites.

3. or run it slow all the time

4. very true. DO NOT over fill the carboy. Air pressure changes can cause expansion of the wine too

5. I really don't understand storing K-meta in your carboys. I know that lots of people do it, and I have heard their reasoning. But bacteria is not going to grow in a dry carboy. So drain the carboy well, and store it dry.

6. In my experience, K-meta dissolves readily in water. I use a small measuring cup and a whisk, by the way. K-sorbate doesn't dissolve the same way. Put some water in the measuring cup, pour the sorbate on top. Walk away for a couple of minutes. Come back and whisk it up. Add to carboy.

7. I don't need a funnel.

8. Also your Auto-Siphon. What a lot of people call a 1/2" auto-siphon needs 7/16" id x 9/16" od tubing. It's 1/2" on average. But stores sell and people buy 1/2" id hose, and then try to get it to stay on.

9-11. yes, yes, yes.

Steve

7. I don't need a funnel.

8. Also your Auto-Siphon. What a lot of people call a 1/2" auto-siphon needs 7/16" id x 9/16" od tubing. It's 1/2" on average. But stores sell and people buy 1/2" id hose, and then try to get it to stay on.

Steve

7.I'm messy...;)

8.I bought a used euro filter that came with a hand pump and an aquarium pump setup with wich you need to use your sifon tube.
I tought "to H*** with the hand pump, lets use the electric one...little did I know that my tube was a little too big for my filter...you should:ve seen the mess!!! My wife almost made me quit wine making right then and there!!!

I'm getting a buenovino minijet next week end end of problemes ;)

I offer the following additional rules.

1) When it comes to equipment, always have a spare (as your finances permit).

2) Always check that the valve (at the bottom) is CLOSED before racking into a tank.

3) One of the best pieces of equipment I own is a "cork puller". This is an "L" shaped gizmo with a "T" handle that is used for extracting corks that have been pushed into a bottle. This little thing is perfect for pulling out stoppers that are stuck in the neck of a jug. Just pull out the fermentation lock, slip in the "L" rod through the center hole, and give her a firm yank. Total cost was about $3.

J ohnT;84228 said:
I offer the following additional rules.

1) When it comes to equipment, always have a spare (as your finances permit).

2) Always check that the valve (at the bottom) is CLOSED before racking into a tank.

3) One of the best pieces of equipment I own is a "cork puller". This is an "L" shaped gizmo with a "T" handle that is used for extracting corks that have been pushed into a bottle. This little thing is perfect for pulling out stoppers that are stuck in the neck of a jug. Just pull out the fermentation lock, slip in the "L" rod through the center hole, and give her a firm yank. Total cost was about $3.

Done!! :h

thx!

Back