Wine of the week

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was extremely honored to be asked to host a posting on this thread. The dinner for tonight was in celebration of my wife's Mothers Birthday and I cooked her favorite which is my pan fried Rib Eye steak and Mushrooms marinated in butter, garlic, salt, pepper, onions and of course wine. The accompanying dishes I served was baked potato with light sour cream, Asparagus and a nice garden salad which my wife prepared. The wine for tonights dinner was a Chokecherry from Bert and PWP ( THANKS) . This was a totally new wine I have never had before but defiantely hope to have again in the furure.

chokeberry.jpg

I used some of the Chokecherry wine to marinate the Mushrooms and Steak in also which turned out to be an excellent decision.

steakcooking.jpg

And now, Dinner is served.

plate2.jpg

Upon uncorking, the nose is fillled with fruity aromas and for a lack of expertise in proper terminology I will say "Woodiness". Both of which carried over into the taste. I would guess this wine was oaked and had nice body and a great finish. It went really well with the dinner prepared insofar as it did not overwhelm the foods or vice versa. It is definately a wine I would like to add to my cellar. Edited by: Waldo

WOW............ Were does one start? Thats the first meal I have ever seen were I would have a hard time deciding......... steak....... or the salad.......

What an incredible dinner, paired with what sounds to be a great wine, for a great occassion.

Tell Mom we said Happy Birthday! How lucky she is.........

Looks great Waldo...we love ChokeCherry wine....we call it poor-mans Cabernet or Merlot....we like it strong and dry....
smiley4.gif

Nice job, Waldo!
smiley32.gif
Heck, if I'd known you were cooking tonight we'd have come on down and brought a gift for you mother-in-law! Looks stupendous!

Great presentation Waldo! I can almost smell the steak and mushrooms here in OH! You never cease to amaze me with your talents.
smiley32.gif
BRAVO!

Waldo, you are the man................
smiley32.gif

I can just taste the "shrooms" from here in "Mary's Land."

Best wishes to Mom. I'm betting it was a wonderful evening.

PolishWineP said:
Nice job, Waldo!
smiley32.gif
Heck, if I'd known you were cooking tonight we'd have come on down and brought a gift for you mother-in-law! Looks stupendous!
Thanks PWP...We really enjoyed the Chokecherry. My son, on his intial tasting, "Damn, Dad, Thats very nice" What is a Chokecherry and can you get your hands on some"
smiley36.gif

They were sure wanting me to open the SpicedMead yesterday too but it is being reserved for Thanksgiving.

After taking a few weeks off we're back to Wine of the Week!
Last night we were visiting some friends who have recently returned from a trip to southern Africa. The table dressings reflect this.
We had a Tuscan stew, salad and bread. It was paired with a Pinot Nior that we'd brought.
20061030_055551_Tuscan_Stew_003.jpg

For dessert we had a small bottle of ice style wine that I got from George when I was in Texas last may and we were doing a little horse trading. George, what a great dessert! Wow! Even the non-wine drinking guy there liked it, and that's saying a lot!
I can't get the picture posted right now, but will try again this evening. (Operator error and short of time.)

Yeah, I've been trying to put 10 pounds into a 5 pound bag lately. But I'm not traveling anywhere for a while now and should be back where I belong, cooking up food for the family!

And a mighty fine job you do of it too Princess.......That spread there looks might fine !!!!

Oh PWP, I miss eating at that house. The non-wine drinking guy and his wife always prepare such excellant food! And the company is equal to the task!
smiley20.gif

Waldo said:
And a mighty fine job you do of it too Princess.......That spread there looks might fine !!!!
I can take no credit for that spread. Debbie always does a lovely job. But, I'll post the recipe if I can find the danged things. (I wrote it down right before we left and for some reason Bert had to drive home.)
smiley5.gif

I can now post the dessert picture. Here's Bert injoying a glass of ice-style wine, courtesy of George. Thank you George!
smiley32.gif

20061030_192301_Stew_004.jpg

Looks kind of happy, doesn't he?
smiley4.gif

Back