Thinking outside the box

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE: I stabilized and cleared the gallon of Chardonnay that I added Almond extract too. The tasting of the wine was good and it had the aroma of Almond and the taste of Almond. I felt the taste was at the max, so next time I would try 2 tablespoons of the extract instead of three. I bought a 12 pack of 1 oz extract from Amazon so I added a tablespoon of the orange extract to see if it would make the Almond taste a little less. So, it's going through secondary fermentation and I'll give another update in a couple of weeks.

Any thoughts on this from anyone?

Experamentaion and compromize

ADDING and subtracting ,experimenting and trying that's what, it's all about,, then you'll fine a common ground for your taste and still have the wine flavor your going after in the end.:sm not something else,I don't think the orange extract will cut the almond ,if anything it will add its own enhancement to the mix,,ask yourself this,IS THE ALMOND TO STRONGE ,IF SO THE ANSWER WOULD BE TO CUT IT WITH MORE WINE, :mny MY BE BY JUST A BOTTLE OR TWO AND THE BALANCE WILL WORK ITSELF OUT.....THATS WHAT I WOULD DO NOT TO LOSE THE WINE I WANTED TO CREATE IN THE END.:slp

ADDING and subtracting ,experimenting and trying that's what, it's all about,, then you'll fine a common ground for your taste and still have the wine flavor your going after in the end.:sm not something else,I don't think the orange extract will cut the almond ,if anything it will add its own enhancement to the mix,,ask yourself this,IS THE ALMOND TO STRONGE ,IF SO THE ANSWER WOULD BE TO CUT IT WITH MORE WINE, :mny MY BE BY JUST A BOTTLE OR TWO AND THE BALANCE WILL WORK ITSELF OUT.....THATS WHAT I WOULD DO NOT TO LOSE THE WINE I WANTED TO CREATE IN THE END.:slp

Hi Joe,

The almond flavor was at it's max, therefore I wanted to soften it a little. Well if the orange adds a new flavor that would be great. I have another week before it's ready to bottle so I'll do a taste test then and if I have to thin it, I'll add some of the standard Chardonnay to it.

I have an apple/cranberry going from cans of concentrate. It didn't taste like much so I added a tablespoon of coconut extract to that. The smell is great.

I like the new extracts. The kit of twelve came with a coffee one that I'm going to use for expresso in the recipe you gave me. I have to go back through these threads to get an idea of what all goes in it. I'll let you know the various amounts of each ingredient before I proceed.

Overall I'm doing ok as a new vintner and I want to thank you for all your assistance and encouragement.

Happy 4th of July to ya....

Bottled the Chardonnay, the Orange Almond Chardonnay and the Coconut Cranberry Rose.

The Chardonnay's were excellent. The Almond was great and at its maximum with a slight hint of orange. I'm assuming the orange could come out a little more with aging. The standard Chardonnay was a big hit with the wife. I thought it was very smooth with a great finish.

The Cranberry was the first from frozen concentrates and was ok for me but my wife liked it. Go figure.

I ordered a Gewurtztraminer and a Australian Semillon. They should be here this week. This week I'm stabalizing the Milk Chocolate Strawberry Port and the Barbaresco.

I'll quit whining for now and get going on the next batch. I found that I cannot have something fermenting at all times. What an interesting addiction.

Experimentation

GLAD TO HEAR THAT IT WAS WHAT YOU EXPECTED ,OR AT LEAST CLOSE,DO YOU THINK IT WAS WORTH THE EFFORT? I WOULD HOPE SO,AND YES ITS ALWAYS NICE TO HAVE SOMETHINNG GOING ON,I LABELED BOTH MY PIESPORTER(THIS IS ONE YOU SHOULD TRY)AND TRO BLANCO(SMOOTH AND SEMI-DRY)GOOD FINISHING WINE,RACKED AND PUT A SECOND FINING AGENT IT THE BANANA VIOGNIER AND THE TROPICAL RED FROM AMAZON,.............NEVER A DULL MONENT IS THEIR WHEN THERE'S WINE IN THE LOOP.:db

,DO YOU THINK IT WAS WORTH THE EFFORT?

Hi Joe,

Yes, I do think it was worth it. I wish I had added more orange extract to the almond chardonnay. Since I took the almond to the max, I thought I better back off a little. Maybe it will come out during aging.

I look forward to using the other extracts in different ways.

I'm splitting out 3 gallons of my Barbaresco this weekend to experiment with adding some simple syrup to make the other 3 gallons less dry. I'm getting some good advice from Julie and others on a different thread.

Join us, I think the title is "Adding sweetener to a dry wine". Would love your comments there.

making it your own

making it your own:dbthat's what thinking outside the box is all about,as your progress on you rown you'll fined a whole new thought process on wine making....not to different from the early winemakers of europe and i mean early.....keep it moving and a hobbie will become a craft.:tz

making it your own:dbthat's what thinking outside the box is all about,as your progress on you rown you'll fined a whole new thought process on wine making....not to different from the early winemakers of europe and i mean early.....keep it moving and a hobbie will become a craft.:tz

Joe,

I found a recipe to make Armaretto. It has always had an almond taste. There isn't any almonds in the recipe. I'm going to tweak it to be more like wine fermentation and then add some of my almond extraxt to it. I'll let you know how it turns out...

extracts

its a basic formula for cello's actually using simple syrup,extracts and some form of alcohol,I have all the extracts in place to do the mix just need some vodka as the booster,I'll try this in a one gallon format and trade it with you ,if you would like?:brthe reason i would use vodka instead of everkleer is (bite),this should be soft to the taste not hard.....other than that piece of cake.....

Last edited:
Question

Have any new winemakers out there ever used herbs or flowers to make wine?

Would like some feedback, what ones did you make? Would herbs did you make them with ? And finally, how did they turn out ? T

Blueberry bliss

JS WORDY, HAVE RECEIVED YOUR PACKAGE,, IT S IN THE REFRIGERATOR CHILLING AS WE SPEAK, LABEL WAS VERY NICE, PACKAGE PROFESSIONALLY DONE................ ILL OPEN SOON,:try

Zesting fun with extracts

:spm

I NOTICED 75% WOULD TRY OR HAVE TRIED ZESTING AND OR MAKING OR BUYING EXTRACTS,VERY COOL.
THAT'S THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX:mny

THERE IS A WORLD OF DISCOVERY OUT THERE FOR THOSE WHO ARE ADVENTUROUS,IN THIS INDUSTRY ,EVEN AT OUR LEVEL,AND EXTRACTS AND THE USE OF HERBS AND ZEST AS NATURAL FLAVOR ENHANCING ELEMENTS ARE AT YOUR FINGER TIPS,YOU JUST HAVE TO KNOW - WHAT THEY CAN GIVE YOU- ,HOW TO EXTRACT THE FLAVOR AND WHEN TO ADD THEM THE REST IS ,AS THEY SAY "ALL A MATTER OF TASTE".

TIME TO REVIEW THE ART OF ZESTING AND EXTRACTS ...................FOR THE 25% LEFT:slp

What is zesting?

IN ESSENCE'S, ITS THE OUTER PEEL OR OUTER COLORIZATION ,OF CITRUS FRUIT SUCH AS ,LEMONS,ORANGES AND GRAPEFRUITS TO NAME A FEW,ZESTING HAS BEEN USED IN WINE MAKING FOR HUNDREDS OF YEAR BACK TO THE ETRUSCAN ERROR.

IN BAKING AS WELL AS BEER MAKING THE ART HAS THRIVED ,ITS A QUESTION OF HOW TO MAKE AND WHEN TO USE...EXTRACTS ARE A DERIVATIVE OF ZESTING AND IS ALSO THE EXTRACTION OF ESSENTIAL OILS FROM ITEMS LIKE CINNAMON,RAISINS, AND OTHER FRAGRANT ITEMS.
FOR THE NEW WINE MAKER IT MIGHT SEEM A LITTLE TO MUCH WORK,WHY NOT JUST BUT A COMMERCIAL EXTRACT AND BE DONE WITH IT?THE ANSWER TO THAT IS ,IN SOME CASES ITS A CAN DO,BUT IN MOST NOT ENOUGH REAL FLAVOR INPUT,FOR MY NEEDS,HENCE, YOU MAKE A EXTRACT,NOT THAT HARD BUT IT TAKES PATIENTS.DO YOU HAVE PATIENTS?

ZESTING:db

THE TOOL TO USE IS A MICRO PLANE ITS LIKE A HAND HELD CHEESE GRADER ONLY FINER,MOST OF US HAVE THIS TYPE OF TOOL IN THE KITCHEN ,IF NOT GO BUY ONE (IN- VALUABLE).

:HB REMOVE ONLY THE COLOR PORTION OF THE ORANGE (NOT THE WHITE)..WHAT IS REMOVES FROM THE ORANGE IS ZEST THIS CAN BE DONE WITH ANY CITRUS FRUIT,AND SOME OTHERS
. :tz NOW WHAT TO DO WITH IT?
WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO DO ,MAKE A EXTRACT OR USE AS ZEST ,AS IT IS ,TO ENHANCE A WINE BASE,OR TO TAKE CORRECTIVE MEASURES?:ft
LETS SAY YOU HAVE A WHITE WINE BASE AND YOU DECIDED TO MAKE IT SPECIAL,BY ADDING ZEST TO THE WINE AFTER PRIMARY AND ALLOWING IT TO SET FOR A MONTH THE ORANGE WILL GIVE UP IT'S FLAVOR TO THE WINE,IF IT ISN'T ENOUGH FLAVOR THEN BY ALL MEANS DEEPEN THE TASTE WITH MORE ZEST AND ALLOW IT TO SET LONGER ,IT WILL SETTLE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE VESSEL.

ZESTING AND EVER CLEER OR VODKA:db
:dbIF YOU CHOSE TO MAKE A EXTRACT THEN YOU WOULD TAKE THE ZEST AS I DO (10 TO 12 ORANGES) VALENCES ARE BEST ) PLACE ZEST IN A BALL QUART GLASS JAR (SANITIZED)AND FILL WITH EVERCLEER,LET IT SET FOR A MONTH OR UNTIL YOU SEE THE ZEST TURN WHITISH,AT THE BOTTOM OF THE JAR,READY FOR USE,

TO ....BE CONTINUED......:try

Last edited:
The subject of orange

Orange wine

While on the subject of extracts is a simple wine make to with an excellent taste .

:ib Orange wine or vino naranja is a product in HELLUVA and MALAGA in ANDALUSIA, Spain with white wine macerated with orange peel its known for its aromatic SWEET wines. There system of production and aging of this wine , is a white wine when macerated orange peels and aging . orange wine from HELVA is usually dark orange brown color . of brown color is a result of sun-dried grapes prior to fermentation .

:b MOSCATEL, OR ORANGE MOSCATEL is a sweet wine produced Malaga . bitter Seville orange peels, once dried , our macerated out all distilled from wine and this is as the sleep MOSCATEL wine .

:db So let's say you use 8 to 12 Seville oranges or navel oranges zest of them , and place them in alcohol or Everclear . ,or the other way, zest or orange peels, place them directly into the secondary,, allowed to go through its final phases fermentation watch the zest fault to the bottom and it will, after a month give it a little taste ,rack off sediment, adjuster taste , great tasting wine semi dry or sweet . ................................. To be continued,:picE

Last edited:
A trip to Georgia

I would like to take you on a trip with me last month at our South Jersey winemakers meeting Mr. Michael pinto host at our meeting at his winery and produce outlet. Michael had just came back from Georgia, no I don't mean to Georgia in the United States, I mean Georgia in the former Soviet Union or should I say the Soviet Union occupied Georgia ,anyway this to political and not for this venue.

The pinto family is very influential throughout Europe especially Italy and Chile and they also have vineyards on the West Coast they've been in the wine business for years and their well respected in the industry , are wine meeting was on the Sunday Michael I just flown in that Saturday night from Europe and hadn't gotten much sleep at all, fact is I screwed up the dates and it wasn't supposed to be to the following Sunday that are wine meeting was scheduled at that time he was supposed to go over the wines from California which he says are going exciting this year, they had a great growing season and the wines from Chile were to be discussed . As I was waiting in the parking lot for 12 o'clock to arrive I noticed there was a car already in the lot I rang the bell and Michael came out and looked at me as if to say " what are you doing here" and that's exactly what he said, see I have messed up the date so anyway
he gave me the keys to his place stated he would be back and for me to take over we had all the people on their way, sometimes things work out for the best. T
Michael went on to say that his trip to Georgia was paid for by the government of Georgia in hopes that he could stimulate the sale of Georgian wine juice and grapes in this country to that end at our meeting history began , is very cool so I hope you stay tuned ..........:mnyU

Last edited:
Have any new winemakers out there ever used herbs or flowers to make wine?

Would like some feedback, what ones did you make? Would herbs did you make them with ? And finally, how did they turn out ? T

I have made wine from the following flowers: Mimosa (smelled like catspray and was a bit bitter/sour...used it to blend a little with my peach wine and it gave it a true peach scent and sourness.
Also, Elderflowers...I have made wine and sparkling wine using white grape juice as base, Crimson clover mead (kind of grassey and berry tasting)....and Rosepetals using white grape and finally, chrysanthemum mead...not so bad and it's supposed to be medicinal (antiinflamatory...chinese recipe.)

I added Borage leaves to a pear wine I made this spring. It gave it a melon/cucumber taste. I recommend this in any light wine.

Lynn

herbal wines

:wythanks for sharing that with me,there is a wide palate of things that one can make into wine ,with in reason,don't you think?:HB and I hope you will continue to read this and the other threads I put on line..

the toolbox

Okay were going into winemaking season these are three items you should know in your head and have posted on a wall somewhere on a bulletin board somewhere we can see it at all times so you don't get that mixed up .I'm putting this on all four threads.
S

Potassium sorbate, is used to inhibit molds, and yeast in wine . also known affectionately as wine stabilizer . testings are raped produces sorbate acid when added to wine . it serves two purposes. when active fermentation has ceased and the wind is ripe for the final time after clearing , potassium sorbate will render any surviving yeast incapable of multiplying. yeast living at that moment can continue fermenting any residual sugar into C02 and alcohol , butwhen they die no new yeast will be present to cause future fermentation. when a wine is sweet and before bottling, potassium sorbate is used to prevent re-fermentation when used in conjunction with potassium metabolic sulfate . is primarily used with sweet wines, sparkling wines and some hard siders by may be added to table wines which exhibit difficulty in maintaining clarity and finding .
N

Capitalization, is a process of adding sugar to unfermented grape must in order to increase the alcohol content after fermentation this technique was developed by a French chemist for whom it was named this process is not make the wines sweeter but only artificially inflates the alcohol content . additionally, the sugar is capitalized wine cannot be tasted T
Potassium sorbate, is us is used to inhibit, and yeastin wine. this both prevents must wild microorganisms from growing , and it acts as a potent antioxidant , protecting both the color comment and delicate flavors of the wine.

Typical dosage is 1/4 teaspoon potassium metabolic sulfate or 6 gallon bucket of must prior to fermentation and it half teaspoonor 6 gallon bucket bottling. winemaking equipment is sanitized by spraying with a 1% solution of 2 tablespoons of potassium medics both sulfate solution . O

Read thisUnderstand the differences between potassium sorbate potassium metabolic sulfite place in an area that you can always look at continue to memorize and even then revisited it's a must for home winemakers ........... Printed out:wy M

Latest posts

Back