Thinking outside the box

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this is kind of a cheat but I made some sparkling almond/ apple wine. by first making my apple wine. fermenting it to dry. then adding a bottle of Amoretto to the 5 gal batch. and keging it. after about two weeks in the keg I bottled it in champagne bottles. Every one loved it.

I know this is kind of a cheat but I made some sparkling almond/ apple wine. by first making my apple wine. fermenting it to dry. then adding a bottle of Amoretto to the 5 gal batch. and keging it. after about two weeks in the keg I bottled it in champagne bottles. Every one loved it.

That sounds really good.

Cheating

In this business that were IN ,making wine at home I don't believe being creative can be called cheating, is being creative in my point of view. What ever flavor combination you choose to create, which ever way you choose to achieve that flavor combination is okay in my book, I think being out there on the edge is harder and more trying, then being safe all the time, and besides it gets boring, don't. You think, it keeps things interesting, so don't stop being creative ,you'll never know what gem you may end up with in the bottle.

It's time to move on, with good wines gone bad. 2012 edition

Last edited:
Kito

Remember, I stated kito was coming over to work on the Chardonnay, it had good body(it was done with white raisins) a little liquid oak, great taste, and the aroma. But of course he had to back-sweeten once again, it is his wine and his flavor profile, can speak bad about a man for that, his wife also likes the wine relatively sweet,. We first course filter the wine just so you would have a good clean base to start with, then he added the simple syrup 1 cup and a pinch of kmet and superkleer, the wine is almost all clear and it only took 24 hours, not bad. In a few days time to he'll come back and bottle and start his next kit, this of course the above was from juice from California.

Almond wine

:sn
WELL I ABANDON MY QUEST FOR ALMOND WINE OUT OF ALMONDS,NOW I WILL RESEARCH ALMOND EXTRACT AND SEE WHAT IS THE PUREST I CAN PURCHASE...BLEND THAT WITH A A DECENT QUALITY 2WHITE THIS SPRING AND SEE WHAT THAT BUYS ME.WHAT DO YOU THINK?:dg

Wow...will def be trying this in the fall when I get a bit more experience and the fresh almonds start to arrive!

Cellos

Well are South Jersey winemakers wine meeting went quite well, we had about 15 to 20 people show good food and good wines, the topic is extracts and fpacs,,,,,,,,,,, but I did was I had my samplings of all the extracts that I had made, I explain the usage of the extract as well as how to make them, the usage of zest, and how to extract it from the fruit using Everclear to extract the essence from the citrus such as oranges grapefruits and lemons and limes also I showed the group coffee extractions , cinnamon extract and vanilla bean............

We had some hands-on demonstrations, plus taste cellos, and a BlackBerry fpacs added it to my MELbec.. Showed the two processes the cooking process and a fresh made process: two different types of fpacs.

We had a great time, good food and good wine.

Starting the process

:uWill be starting my coffee coffee port very soon and my banana viognier............................ I noticed quite a few people out there already when I made coffee port, I will post my progress, but how about the banana pineapple viognier?............. any comments?:sm

:sn
WELL I ABANDON MY QUEST FOR ALMOND WINE OUT OF ALMONDS,NOW I WILL RESEARCH ALMOND EXTRACT AND SEE WHAT IS THE PUREST I CAN PURCHASE...BLEND THAT WITH A A DECENT QUALITY 2WHITE THIS SPRING AND SEE WHAT THAT BUYS ME.WHAT DO YOU THINK?:dg

Don't give up~ Any nut wine is do-able as long as you rack the heck out of it and leave the floating rancid oil behind.

two sisters

:u THERE IS A WINERY DO HERE IN SJ..THAT MAKES A EXCELLENT ALMOND WINE SO GOOD IN FACT MY WIFE AND i BOUGHT TWO BOTTLES AT THE EVENT WE FINISHED ONE AT THE TASTING AND THE OTHER ONE SHORTLY AFTER,THEY USED PRUE ALMOND EXTRACT...i WILL DO THE SAME AND FORWARD YOU A BOTTLE AS SOON A S MY BASE IS DONE.. :r

SOME THINGS ARE BEST TO BE KEEP SIMPLE:db

So how are you making your base? After your base you're just going to add almond extract? I was going to try that also. Could you give me the recipe that you are using? Thanks:D

, Almond wine

I'm not sure I understand the question, my base will be some form of a cheap wine kit, white wine that is, it doesn't matter what type for after it's done fermenting and and just before clearing that's when I'll and are I almond extract of which have yet to determine which is the best grade, but if you stay with the thread I'll let you know just as soon as I find but it will have to be the best on the market. Stated

Racking the kits

:hugWELL ,LAST NIGHT i RACKED MY PINA COLADA,SEVILLE ORANGE SANGRIA AND MOJOTO,WHEN YOU MAKE A MANUFACTURED KIT PRODUCT ITS A PRUDENT TO DO AS INSTRUCTED THEY KNOW WHAT THERE END PRODUCT SHOULD BE,ALL THREE KITS WERE RIGHT ON TARGET,APPLIED THE CHEMS. TO THE SECONDARY AND FINDINGS AS DIRECTED,AFTER ITS COMPLETED i MIGHT MAKE CHANGES,THE OTHER 3 KITS,RESILING,PIESPORTED ANDPINO GRIS ,i ADDED THE CHEMS AND FIRST STAGE OF THE CLEARRING AGENTS,,THE I WILL RE-SUPERKLEER AGAIN...AS i WAS DOING THIS IN MY CELLAR i WAS ALSO MAKING DINNER FOR US,ITS GREAT TO HAVE A MAN CAVE WITH ALL THE CREATURE COMFORTS OF A KITCHEN AT YOUR DISPOSAL.:)

the count down continues

:tryAND the beat goes on,last night was a big move on for the wine making here we reviewed several wines as to disposition,and worked on the following

:b THE RESLING,PINO GRIS and PIESPORTER,got a dose of supper kleer,this will send them on their way to final stages,,the mojoto,Cosmo and orange sangria,got there doses of k met,sobate and finding agent,there on there way to a 10 day waiting period and the finals.:HB

Always something to do:db

Less we forget

Say by the way, I didn't forget about, the almond wine will be getting back to that real soon the first of 10 other carboys that have to take care of and have my peach Plum combination that I think is really young, and is really going to come out nice. We'll get back

I followed the recipe on February 2nd. SG was 1.090 and pitched K1-1116 the next day. on 2/08 the SG was down to 1.010 so I racked to 2 1-gallon carboys, I made 2 gallons.
I did roast the almonds

On 2/20 even though there did not appear to be any fermentation I added the sugar 1/2 cup dissolved in a bit of warmed water per gallon.

Re-fermentation did not re-start.

I have not racked a 3rd time because I am not sure what to do. I did put the raisins and almonds in a mesh bag and removed them when I did the first racking. They were great on oatmeal!

I just looked at it today and it is fairly clear with some sediment. I have no idea what to do now except maybe rack again and wait it out?

I did taste a bit of it a little while ago and can taste alcohol, so I don't think it is bad. And I did not have the oil on top like most spoke of

almond wine/sammy

:wy when I get home tonight I'll be sure to get back to you and try to help out..talk to you tonight............joe:se

Sammy K

I didn't forget you, but it takes me time to get around the things. I stated in the thread that I could not get a response from the comments I was looking for and I think that's because these are only process, now what I did is when online and try to find the purest form of almond extract. I could, with this in hand, I will make myself a cheap white wine kit because it's going to be balanced, it will take less time and I will have an end product within 60, 90 days, I'm going to use the white wine as my base in the almond extract. As my fpacs, get it. To sum it might seem like cheating, but believe me in this business is always a taste. The end justifies the means. Unless you're purest in that case you will be reading this thread, so forget about making one gallon batches or two down the hatches. If you can't buy yourself an expensive one wine kit, goingon olivenation.com and buy yourself a$7.95 bottle up your almond extract, follow directions on the kit at the end of the process, if you put your chemicals and let it settle out to the specific gravity reading, and your almond extract to taste...... but it settle out to another specific gravity reading, ready to go .................... try this on for size the work:slp

Coffee port

:wy ONE OF THE WINES I HAVE SITTING IN THE WINGS IS MY COFFEE PORT,BEFORE I START, I WANTED A PLAN ,SOMETHING DIFFERENT TO SEPARATE IT FROM THE CROWD,I THOUGHT ABOUT IT AND CAME UP WITH THIS PLAN.
:dgFIRST THE LABELS ,I SEARCH AND FOUND A GOOD LABEL AT WINE TOY STORE, NEED TO SEE IF GEORGE CAN DO THIS .,BOUGHT THE KIT FROM THEIR,NEXT THE BOTTLES,WANTED SOMETHING DIFFERENT,LOOK AROUND AND AROUND AND FINIALLY CAME UP WITH SWING TOP AMBER BALE WIRE GLASS BOTTLE...............NOW THE PORT HAS A GOOD HOME WHEN ITS FINISHED...............:HB .THATS THE PLAN

Latest posts

Back