Thinking outside the box

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coffee port

THE PLAN IS UNDERWAY, I GOT THE LABELS I WANTED AND ARE ON THEIR WAY FROM THE TOY STORE NEXT THE BOTTLES .:mny

The bubbly

As you know I'm always thinking outside the box . Sometimes that's good sometimes it's not so good but it's my way ,. I picked up this weekend a millennium wine kit, this is a white wine champagne kit .now in the past I have made champagne and it was reasonably good the Asti style champagne .. This is a white wine kit I'm going to follow the process to the letter and see how this turns out ,. If this turns out have decent then the plan will be in the fall, when the California fresh juice comes in . I'm going to buy 6 gallons of Pinot Noir, process. This exactly like the millennia kit in every way .

The best campaign I have ever tasted was a dom peridone, it was a 50-year-old bottle not very old for this wine , the next best wine the champagne that I taste the Pinot Noir, California , so if I do this right,. then I'll know I'm on the right track, but this is down the road, going to do my coffee port first, and that won't happen until I get back from vacation , so you won't from hear from me until then, so until then – think outside thethe box. :mny

Last edited:
Time to take a break

:d It's time for me to sign off for a while, just before the air-conditioning season starts. I usually take a sabbatical ,, but I want to leave you these thoughts ,. Thank you for listening and always think outside the box :dg

Good to be back

It's good to be back from a trip for New Mexico ,great place. Lots of history, lots of good beer drinking the bloody Mary drinking ,there to my favorites of the wine .

Cleaned up before one away, . So will start soon glad to see some you stayed in tune ............ talk you soon as I started.:dg

Sunday crush

There's a great advantage and having a wine group ,we here at the South Jersey winemakers and a very broad-based membership ,. Two of those people in our wine are Joe and Lori ,they're opening up a fledgling winery in the very near future called South winds their wine master is a person call Jamie. On Saturday Lori wrote to us and was asking if anyone want to help out with the crush at the winery and so my wife and I replied yes ,we end up processing 5000 pounds of grapes divided up into two categories, the first were Chardonnay and the second was Cabernet .. Once we got there we found out they have already done 3000 pounds of grapes the day before so they were rolling right along. My job on the crush was to be a rackman.
G
what does a rakeman do ? He continuously moves stems from under the destemmer crusher so that there is no build up, as a person was filling the hopper continues to move load grapes ..and this doesn't sound very prestigious position. as fast as they Loading. . The grapes and hopper. ..The stems came out. The bottom. a A so what went. f F five hours. a A then I pressure washed. t T Detemmer crusher.... After that mess. I was completely stuck to myself,.. b B Lucille my were very hungry. . So we. w Wt. t Tthe Greek restaurant,. w Wh a bottle of wine. a A have a ball.. .Nothing like good friend........:mny

The right side of Texas

T Tony, excellent wine ,great color deep ,nice heavy legs, good tannic aroma, very dry, coats the tongue . Overall it's a great wine, if you let this set for two more years it will be exceptional. I think it has the body to do that ,nice kit I compared to mine - having something to complement. It's is a2008, our colors were about the same alcohol was about the same my was liter in tannic acid and aroma but fruitier.not as dry but that's the way make it.

I don't know if you can hold off for, two more years like I said it's a great wine , in one months time I'll do the little bottle, till then............... think outside the box.......... thanks for your support
Joe:try if you try the( we) amarone kit and add the layers of oak and powered oak,plus rasins the turn around is one year plus,good overall product in the end...yours was very good ,my fine vine friend stay the course.......yours always jp..I don't know about you but five years or so is to long for me to wait,,I could forget by then what I was waiting for:d

Last edited:
Almond Wine recipes using almond extract.

I'm not sure I understand the question, my base will be some form of a cheap wine kit, white wine that is, it doesn't matter what type for after it's done fermenting and and just before clearing that's when I'll and are I almond extract of which have yet to determine which is the best grade, but if you stay with the thread I'll let you know just as soon as I find but it will have to be the best on the market. Stated

Ok, I need an update. Was a cheap white chosen, fermented and then almond extract added for the second fermentation (similar to an fpack)?

I just started a cheap Chardonnay from Amazon. Six gallons of juice. I'd like to strip off a gallon for experimentation. I'd like to add the almond extract. I'm curious if I should add the extract until I like the taste, or if I add to the taste I like, will the wine keep that flavor over time. Should I plan a little extra upfront and assume over time the wine will be more subtle or smooth out the almond taste?

When I went to the internet I found Almond extract and plenty of other extracts, usually sold in 4 oz quantities around 8-10 bucks. There was a coffee extract that I thought should work well with a coffee port recipe.

I'm looking for all comments and suggestions regarding using these extracts as fpacks. What do you think?

almond extracts

:slp I bought mine at SAMS club,taste is all that matters,making the blend,one gallon batch,in a large soup pot put the wine in first then add the extract to taste buy more extact then you think you'll need ,(you can always use it for something else)then add to taste.I think your going to enjoy it alot,chilled,the coffee extract is correct a good extra or additive for port ,if I ever get around to making my COFFEE PORT WINE i have a bottle of coffee extract to continplate with,also take your coffee extract and evercleer ,plus some simple syurp and make a coffee cello ,great anytime ice cold.......:br............excellent work

Last edited:
Thanks Joe. How did the almond wine taste? Does the coffee cello need to ferment, or is it good to go after the mix.

good to the last drop

the almond wine is great ,remember its to my taste,(that is a phase not to be confused with (I'm not sure how it should taste ,because I don't now the charismatics of the wine I'm trying to make,got it,but fun wines are just that fun,so invest in a gallon ,experiment and have a BALL.

If you can before you make the coffee cello,using your extract,know this when I make mine and thats often,I first use espresso coffee as my liquid base,then mix in my coffee bean extract(which is easy to make )then the evercleer or vodka,and finally simple syrup.

TO TASTE..........EXPRESSO,SIMPLE SYRUP,BEAN EXTRACT,AND EVERKLEER...........DO THIS ONCE AND I GUARANTEE YOU YOU'LL LOVE IT AND DO IT AGAIN.:HB NO fermentation,let it set for one month and enjoy ,you'll see it will take on a chocolate flavor also just great.

Last edited:
the almond wine is great ,remember its to my taste,(that is a phase not to be confused with (I'm not sure how it should taste ,because I don't now the charismatics of the wine I'm trying to make,got it,but fun wines are just that fun,so invest in a gallon ,experiment and have a BALL.

If you can before you make the coffee cello,using your extract,know this when I make mine and thats often,I first use espresso coffee as my liquid base,then mix in my coffee bean extract(which is easy to make )then the evercleer or vodka,and finally simple syrup.

TO TASTE..........EXPRESSO,SIMPLE SYRUP,BEAN EXTRACT,AND EVERKLEER...........DO THIS ONCE AND I GUARANTEE YOU YOU'LL LOVE IT AND DO IT AGAIN.:HB NO fermentation,let it set for one month and enjoy ,you'll see it will take on a chocolate flavor also just great.

Hi Joe,

I bought the almond extract from Sam's club. I put a little on my tounge to taste it, and it burned. More than I thought it would. I'm assuming that when I add this to my Chardennay, a little goes a long way. I'll start by a tablespoon at a time.

Hey, the coffee cello, what amounts of each ingredient do I add?

Almond extract

By all means, go slow taste as you go remember chilled is even better and less pronounced more almond you'll taste ,straight to the togen I guess it would have, a bite.......... experiment now do fine .:b

Need feed back

THE NEXT WINE TO MAKE WILL BE MY COFFEE PORT ,I KNOW THERE ARE QUITE A FEW OF USE WHO HAVE MADE THIS PORT . MY QUESTION IS HOW DID YOURS FINISH OUT? WHAT DID IT LACK,HOW WAS THE FINISH TEXTURE? WHAT WOULD YOU DO DIFFERENT IN THE BEGINNING TO ENHANCE THE FINAL TASTE?:seOR WAS IT JUST RIGHT

By all means, go slow taste as you go remember chilled is even better and less pronounced more almond you'll taste ,straight to the togen I guess it would have, a bite.......... experiment now do fine .:b

I split out a gallon of my Chardonnay for Almond experimentation, leaving 5 gallons of Chardonnay as per kit instructions.

In 16oz of water I added 2 teaspoons of Almond extract. It was room temperature and I could taste a little almond. So, I calculated 9 teaspoons for a gallon and that equated to 3 tablespoons. I added the 3 tablespoons and did a little taste test and the almond flavor was plentiful. I think the next time I will do my taste test after the water is chilled.

So the gallon is in secondary fermentation. I wonder how best to clarify and stabalize a gallon. Any suggestions out there.

I would also like opinions on adding oak to both the 1 gal and 5 gallons. Should I?

Also, I thought about adding a little sugar syrup after stabalizing to cut the stronger Almond taste. Any thoughts.

Also, I now filter all my wines, so would filtering take a little Almond taste out of the final proeduct? Any thougths.

Ok, I know what you're thinking, why so many questions? Right?

Well, in closing, Happy Father's Day to all you fathers.

almond questions

1.Iwould have made a base of simple syurp and extrac to taste.first place the gallon in a large pot,add extract and simple syurp to taste..,siperkleer is always my finding agent of choice,it very effective,,if all is incorporated ,fitering in the end after finding can be adjusted with little effect over all.............great to see you are experimenting,thinking out side the box..being creative is what this hobbies alll about,...oak is a matter of choice,for me its the almond I want to taste nothing else...thats your preferrence..............................please keep me in formed as to your experiment..:gn

Piesporter

Once I made elderberry Chardonnay , it was outstanding, meeting with dry elderberry flowers in California, Chardonnay . For the year it took to ferment and clear in winter wonderful transformation the wine itself was excellent and body, texture and flavor dried elderberry flowers were outstanding and the wine , this is my first venture . We dry flowers .

This piesporter was another adventure using dried elderberry flowers in the wine , is kit came with a fpacs and in itself reminded me of the elderberry Chardonnay made , having the dried elderberry flowers in refrigerator I enhanced the wine the small handful of the herb . once again I surprise myself how delicate , interesting and flavorful . This wine turned out . using different types of herbs and dried flowers , is another area of winemaking that you should discover .:gn

We just checked our almond wine on Saturday and it was awesome even though it is still "young". Nice and clear too so it went back under the house in the crawl space to age until fall.

Samples?????????????????????????

DID YOU TAKE A TASTE/???????????????:mny

Joe, is you are talking to me, yest we both and a big sip and it was great. Going to do another batch some time this summer. Too many other fresh fruits available now to do more Almond.

Back