Thinking outside the box

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The toolbox

The toolbox:rn

As you move along in this craft you should develop the tools you need to have on hand , just in case you run into a problem and it's a Saturday night and there is no wine store or beer making store around to help you .
The Things you should have on, potassium metabolic sulfate , sorbate , pectin enzyme , super clear , yeast nutrient , a variety of fresh yeast , pow powdered, oak chips , wine tannin powder, liquid oak , corks, and a wide variety of utensils that you pick up over course of your tenure .

These are some of the tools a winemaker is never without, . I'm sure there's a lot more but these are the basics this is what you should acquire in your toolbox for the wine making season . :slpA

Last edited:
sanatation and cleaning

STOP...go back and reread sanitation and cleaning, cridicle to the wine making effort,always remember THE WINE YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN:wy

News from vineland

VINELAND WINE COMP:u

1ST PLACE DRY WHITE CAT.( PIESPORTER)
3RD PLACE FRUIT WINE ZINFANDEL/POMEGRANATE:mnyGREAT COMPETITION,LOTS OF GOOD WINE MAKERS IN THE VINELAND AREA ,OLD WORLD AS WELL AS NEW WORLD,SANCTIONED BY THE JERSEY VINA CULTURAL SOCIETY,AND JUDGE BY THEM USING THE DAVIS METHOD...........ALWAYS FUN AND NERVE RACKING:sh

Sparkling wine anyone?

THIS WEEK END MY ASSOCIATE KITO AND I STARTED OUR TWO MILLINNUM SPARKLING WINE KITS.

THE KITS THEMSELVES AREA A BASIC WHITE WINE WITH INSTRUCTIONS ,THAT AFTER THE WINE REACHES .0996 OR SO,DO NOT ADD KMET AND SORBATE BUT TO ADD A PACKAGE OF DEXTROUS,,CORK,WIRE CAGE AND SEAL,SO FAR SO GOOD.

WHEN I LOOKED AROUND I SAID TO MYSELF,HOW DO APPY THE CORKS?I HAVE NO CHANPANGE CORKER?,ANY TRICKS,I REALLY DON'T WANT TO BUY ONE IF I CAN DO SOMETHING ELSE,?:wy

ALSO STARTED A 3GALLON KIT FROM CRU/LOUNGE KITS INTITTLED..LONG ISLAND ICE TEA.

BUSY WEEKEND....BOTTLES TO DELABEL SOUP TO MAKE AND WINE TO SERVICE:se

:pic I know theres recipes out there for this type of wine ,but has anyone made a really flavorful almond wine and what was the trick if any ,Im:sm looking to expand my wine cellar and tried this before commercially and it was very good in body and flavor..........:sm
I did a batch and left the nuts in until I racked for bottling, plus added about three table spoons of Almond extract right before clarifing

Almond Chardonnay

UPDATE: I stabilized and cleared the gallon of Chardonnay that I added Almond extract too. The tasting of the wine was good and it had the aroma of Almond and the taste of Almond. I felt the taste was at the max, so next time I would try 2 tablespoons of the extract instead of three. I bought a 12 pack of 1 oz extract from Amazon so I added a tablespoon of the orange extract to see if it would make the Almond taste a little less. So, it's going through secondary fermentation and I'll give another update in a couple of weeks. QUOTE]

Joe, I opened a bottle of the Almond Chardonnay for some visiting Canadians and they loved it. The aroma took over right away and the taste was spot on. I did not taste the tablespoon of orange extract, so next time I'll add another tablespoon.

experimentation

follow this premiss,basic white wine , almond extract to taste,the best almond wine I have ever tasted was from two sisters (I think) and I got to know them well,and found that there seceret was good,almond extract..........................:u

joeswine said:
THIS WEEK END MY ASSOCIATE KITO AND I STARTED OUR TWO MILLINNUM SPARKLING WINE KITS.

THE KITS THEMSELVES AREA A BASIC WHITE WINE WITH INSTRUCTIONS ,THAT AFTER THE WINE REACHES .0996 OR SO,DO NOT ADD KMET AND SORBATE BUT TO ADD A PACKAGE OF DEXTROUS,,CORK,WIRE CAGE AND SEAL,SO FAR SO GOOD.

WHEN I LOOKED AROUND I SAID TO MYSELF,HOW DO APPY THE CORKS?I HAVE NO CHANPANGE CORKER?,ANY TRICKS,I REALLY DON'T WANT TO BUY ONE IF I CAN DO SOMETHING ELSE,?:wy

ALSO STARTED A 3GALLON KIT FROM CRU/LOUNGE KITS INTITTLED..LONG ISLAND ICE TEA.

BUSY WEEKEND....BOTTLES TO DELABEL SOUP TO MAKE AND WINE TO SERVICE:se

Cut about an inch long slit on one side of a toiletpaper roll. That is the part that will be on the neck of the champagne bottle. Slide your sterilized cork (I use plastic ones) into the roll to help steady it as you swack the hell out of the top of the roll with a rubber mallet until the cork is in place. Works for me.

Champaign stage to

:picSG is down to 0.996. However it did not clear well ,so I transferred everything into one 6 gallon bucket or glass carboy added some super clear ,. It should settle out within a week at that point I will rack again and at more super clear . The reason being Iwent to speed up the process cause the next step after that would be to filter at the dexterous ,cork, wire cage and sealed. :hug

:pic Stage II of the Long Island iced teashould be in the process tomorrow , I will rack it place in glass carboy, is fining agent to clear it rack again and then add the fpac.

:picThis weekend, we picked up a load of juice from a vendorwho was selling juice from Walker's , Walker's is an excellent prayer of ucies and juice concentrates they come from up in the finger Lakes area so we started Niagara , Fredonia, Concorde and vignoles. This is an exceptionally white wine . All three wines were at 23 bricks with the SG of 1.10 by tomorrow Monday the wine, temperature should be , at 69 degree and ready for the bentonite and the yeast. :mny

Moving along

:HB THE PROCESS OF WINE MAKING HAS ITS FAST AND FURIOUS AND THEN ITS CALM TILL THE NEXT TIME,WELL LAST NIGHT I GOT IN FROM THE STREET AT 9PM,LATE,BUT NEED TO GO DOWN STAIRS FOR THE GLASS PHASE OF THE LONG ISLAND ICE TEA ,THAT THEN GAVE ME 3 FERMENTATION BUCKETS FOR THE FERDONA,NIAGARA AND VIGNOLES,(WHAT AROMAS) AND THE VIGNOLE WAS AT ITS PEAK,ALL THREE WERE STARTING TO FERMENT,BUT I DIDN'T APPLY THE BENOITE OR THE YEAST YET,TIME TO MOVE FAST AND FURIOUS,24 GALLONS OF WINE TO MOVE AND PREP.:c:c:c:c:c:c:c

THAT'S WHY I STRESS TO HAVE EVERY ITEM IN YOUR TOOL BOX ALL , YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOUR GOING TO NEED, ,BEING PREPARED IN THIS CRAFT IN A TRUE TIME SAVER,:wy

HURRY UP AND WAIT.:try

Last edited:
Clearing at last

Finally, everything that was in the fermentation buckets is now in the glass, the Long Island iced tea has cleared and is ready for it set back. They should turn a very interesting flavor .

The Concorde, and Niagara and fradona, are settling in am resting finishing the fermentation in clearing out .

The next step is the champagne finishing , . I bought a new floor corker specifically for champagne , , a na new.

In the wings I still have my coffee port , piña colada , and cosmopolitan these are my wife's favorite amongst the rest of the celler

.......................... stay Suned..... Anybody want to swap ........ Wine
. that is..................................:)

Do you remember?

DO YOU REMEMBER THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN KMET AND SORBATE,AND HOW AND WHEN TO USE THEM?:wy

DO YOU RECALL THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN CLEANING,SANITIZING AND STERILIZATION?:wy

WHAT A BOUT OXIDATION AND HOW IT OCCURS IN THE WINE MAKING PROCESS?:wy

CORK TAINT AND WHAT ITS EFFECTS ARE AND CHARACTERISTICS IT ADDS TO THE WINE?:wy
TIME TO REMEMBER....:try

Got the erge

Conversation"hi bob what are you doing" hi joe on my way to gino pinto's to pick up some californians ,(stop)did i forget!,"were are you now ?i'm in berlin ,were in berlin?mab paint store then heading down,i'll meet you,and so i picked up a pino noir,very fruity and rich in grape flavor,this i will turn into champagne.if you like to make wine you never out grow your need to ferment something no matter how much is going on:hb................:hb:hb:hb:hb:hb:hb:hb

pino noir

Well, the Pinot Noirs now in glass, still has residual gas and that is okay I I added for big tablespoons of powdered oak to it, this, I feel will give a better mouth feel would add a little structure ,, the ed still has a long way to go ,. I Will build on it . Starting now :dbI like you Pinot nor very much to me . It is one of the fruitiness red wines you can make it, goes well with everything and you do not have to think about it to enjoy.:b

rememberring

do you remember the difference between cleaning ,sanitizing and sterilization??????????in wine making terms??????????????????????????????????????????:se

Failures

:se On the first one to admit that I had failures, is a typical example the first time I made a sparkling wine was in 2007 the great was the moscato,, which is really the grape that is widely used in the production of ASTI, ONE OF THE GREAT SPARKLING WINES OF EUROPE SPECIFICALLY ITALY , NOW IN 2007 I WAS STILL IN THE LEARNING CURVE AND BELIEVE ME, I WAS LEARNING EVERY EXPERIENCE AS YOU SHOULD , HOWEVER WAS IN JANUARY WAS AT ONE OF OUR ONE SOUTH JERSEY WINEMAKERS MEETINGS AND PART OF THE PROJECT WAS TO MAKE THIS A SPARKLING WINE OR SHOULD I SAY HOW TO ,I HAD ALL THE TOOLS LINED UP WITH THE EXCEPTION OF GOOD KNOWLEDGE ,. SO WE WENT AHEAD ANYWAY IN THE SPARKLING WINE DID NOT TURN OUT TOO BAD DID NOT HAVE A LOT OF CARBONATION, EVEN THOUGH WE USE CO2 IN THE BEER RUN . SOMETHING WAS NOT JUST RIGHT, NOW WE MOVE FORWARD TO TODAY ONLY HAVE ABOUT SIX BOTTLES LEFT OF THE STUFF STILL A GREAT TASTING WINE BUT AABSOLUTELY, NO SPARKLE ! SO DO YOU LEARN FROM THIS. BASICALLY I DID A RIGHT IT JUST DID NOT COME OUT RIGHT . SO THIS NEXT –I AM GOING TO THIS WEEKEND ,I NOW HAVE ALL THE TOOLS IN PLACE AND THE KNOWLEDGE ,YOU NEVER OUTGROW YOUR NEED FOR KNOWLEDGE AND THE WINEMAKING BUSINESS. :rdo

Remember

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN K MET AND SOBATE, SANITATION AND CLEANING,WHAT CONTRIBUTES TO CORK TAINT,HOW OXIDATION EFFECTS THE WINE AND INVADES IT,THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CAPITALIZATION AND BACK SWEETING.

DOWN LOAD- THEM POST THEM- REMEMBER THEM....................THEIR APART OF YOUR WINE MAKING PROCESS..............................................:try

Pump problems?

HAVEN,T DONE MUCH IN THE BASEMENT DO TO THE FACT I LOST MY SINK PUMP,STORM(SANDY ) DEPLETED THE STORES OF PUMPS,BUT NOW WITH A NEW ONE THIS WEEK END I CAN RE- START MY PASSION AND THERE IS A LOT TO DO,TO BOTTLE TO RACK TO TASTE AND THEN THERE'S THE HOLIDAYS JUST OFF IN THE DISTANCE,,

JUST NOT ENOUGH TIME:gn

tony t amarone

Last night when I got home I decided to have some wine to unwine with:HB in my special rack was tony t small bottle of 2011 amarone,it was time.:db

by the time my wife came in from riding dinner was on the table and the wine was in the glasses,excellent tonyt ,nice up front and a great finish, I believe this was the one you used raisins in(chicken label),glad I let it set longer as you suggested.....here's to you tony:trythe right side of Texas:try.....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back