The great white wine competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FedEx ~ home pick-up ~ $31.50. I was not kidding when I wrote this was an amazing opportunity for me to get honest feedback without spending a lot of of money on entry fees and I took full advantage. Can't wait for the notes!! Thank you again.

I noticed you got to try a half dozen or more Sauvignon Blancs. Do you happen to know if they were kits, juice, or grapes? If so, any appreciable differences between the sources?

As far as knowing if it's a kit , juice, it doesn't matter what counts is the over all taste nothing more,just like another wine contest that's how we viewed it. I can tell you all that it was an experience for me and I've done this before.look at the fact there was no gold metals awarded? The silvers were mostly fruit styles,and the bronze were the rest the contest went upside down,quite difference from the BigRed contest,which had almost the same amount of entries.when you get your wine comments back,look at the middle ground which is taste,depth as profile these are the areas to reflect back on I think it would be very cool to start talking about profiles and how we get there.dont get me wrong there was some really good tasting wine's,but one thing or another pulled it just off the top by 10ths of percentages.the judging was tight and Fair.But you have to ask yourself why fruits on top in a Great White Wine contest??what do you think?

As far as knowing if it's a kit , juice, it doesn't matter what counts is the over all taste nothing more,just like another wine contest that's how we viewed it. I can tell you all that it was an experience for me and I've done this before.look at the fact there was no gold metals awarded? The silvers were mostly fruit styles,and the bronze were the rest the contest went upside down,quite difference from the BigRed contest,which had almost the same amount of entries.when you get your wine comments back,look at the middle ground which is taste,depth as profile these are the areas to reflect back on I think it would be very cool to start talking about profiles and how we get there.dont get me wrong there was some really good tasting wine's,but one thing or another pulled it just off the top by 10ths of percentages.the judging was tight and Fair.But you have to ask yourself why fruits on top in a Great White Wine contest??what do you think?

I see 5 of the 10 silvers as grape wines? Now maybe the top silvers were fruit wines, but we can't see the final scores. I feel the best you can do in a single varietal grape wine, if done traditionally, is have your wine making process not degrade the quality of your ingredients. Some here do enjoy making a wine without adding non-traditional ingredients, for example, I don't see the value of adding raisins to a delicate wine like a chardonel. Adding raisins in my opinion would alter the wine to a point where the delicate characteristics may be masked. Just my opinion.

Thanks for holding this competition. I am really excited for the feedback sheets!!!

Thanks from me as well. I look forward to the feedback. The fruit vs varietal wine discussion is interesting, but without seeing the score hard to assess. As you mention profiles, I think a great discussion would be what each should be and how to hit it.

Thanks again, a valuable exercise.

Results are also available now at cellar masters competition. Two years ago I got skunked at that one and a while ago I got skunked here in another white comp and even the dragon blood comp. I think I've made a lot of progress since then and am looking forward to reading the scorecards. I got a silver and bronze at the cellar masters.
Thanks to the judges for putting this together,
Mike

Update

I have received the medals and will be sending them out (along with the original score cards) in the next week or so.

If you have not already done so and if you have sent in an entry, please PM me with your mailing address.

Thanks once again for helping to make this year's competition such a great success.

IMG957750.jpg

I would like to suggest that (once you receive your medals) each one of you post a picture of your award winning wines proudly displayed with your medals. We did this for the last competition and I really liked the pictures that were posted.

I need addresses for the following folks...

@BARBIEK
@KEVINLFIFER
@KRAFFTY
@TONYR

I have all others.

Last edited:
Back