The great white wine competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone please explain the point system between the different medals ?

I understand the UC Davis 20 point system - I just don't understand how the metals were distributed by the average point system.

Steve,

Points are awarded by (no more than) 7 judges per flight for each of the wine's characteristics.

Each characteristic is then averaged to get the average score for each characteristic.

The average scores were then summed to get your total average score.

To clarify the medal requirements..

A total average score of 18 to 20 receives a gold medal. Although no gold medals were awarded, a few entries did have a score over 17.

A total average score of 15 to 17.9999 receives a silver medal (10 medals were awarded),

A total average score of 12 to 14.9999 received a bronze medal (27 medals were awarded).

I hope this clears things up. Please let me know if you have any futher questions.

So this begs the question. Why did you make it even tougher to get a Gold medal?

UC Davis is 17-20. Your requirements were 18-20. Almost impossible for an amateur winemaker to attain which explains why there were exactly ZERO Gold medals awarded! :?

So this begs the question. Why did you make it even tougher to get a Gold medal?

UC Davis is 17-20. Your requirements were 18-20. Almost impossible for an amateur winemaker to attain which explains why there were exactly ZERO Gold medals awarded! :?

Was the scoring the same for the reds competition?

These were the same ranges we used for the big and bold competition and there were gold medals awarded in that competition.

I picked the ranges to first, make a bronze medal a little easier to obtain.

We then made the silver medal harder to come by and really mean something. Silver recipients should feel that they have done a fantastic job and should be proud.

I set the bar for gold to be truly outstanding and a level that is appropriately difficult to obtain. I wanted to award Gold medals to wines that were beyond the fantastic.

These were the ranges we set. Yes, no gold medals were awarded, but that may be because @IBGLOWIN did not submit an entry? :)

Last edited:
According to the scale, 17 would be a wine with outstanding characteristics and no defects. I'd probably paint my medal gold on my own if I ever make a wine that scores that high. :h

Yea, yea.....

Meant to. I seem to be saying that a lot since my dad passed away back in August. I go into the winery intending to do some work, look around for a minute or two, turn around, turn off the lights and and close the door.

Did not get any grapes this year and it was all I could do to not let my own grapes go to the birds. I did end up crushing them and turning them into a "memorial wine" of sorts.

I have not bottled my 2014's, still sitting in stoppered carboys. Have a carboy of white wine that needs to be bottled still sitting in a carboy, have like 3 white wine RQ kits that are sitting around still in their boxes.

Some day I will come out of my funk I guess. Good thing wine only gets better with age.....

These were the ranges we set. Yes, no gold medals were awarded, but that may be because @IBGLOWIN did not submit an entry? :)

Yea, yea.....

Meant to. I seem to be saying that a lot since my dad passed away back in August. I go into the winery intending to do some work, look around for a minute or two, turn around, turn off the lights and and close the door.

Did not get any grapes this year and it was all I could do to not let my own grapes go to the birds. I did end up crushing them and turning them into a "memorial wine" of sorts.

I have not bottled my 2014's, still sitting in stoppered carboys. Have a carboy of white wine that needs to be bottled still sitting in a carboy, have like 3 white wine RQ kits that are sitting around still in their boxes.

Some day I will come out of my funk I guess. Good thing wine only gets better with age.....

So sorry about your dad.

Thanks to all that put this contest on and the poor souls that had to judge all that wine. I hope the headaches are gone by now! This was my first contest and the results have encouraged me to keep going. Thanks again! Here is a pic of my two wines. Thanks again!

LasterdayBronze.jpg

I must have drank or gave away all the sav blanc & chardonnay so those guys just get to lay there all sad. As a historian I always a story - the pineapple wine. My GF and I both got deployed to Qatar in 2014 but not together. We did overlap for 2 weeks though so that was awesome. When we got together after she got home she randomly gave me pineapples - so I made a gallon of wine that I figured would be ready Christmas 2016. She is getting the remaining 4 bottles and the score/remarks sheet in our stocking exchange - a stocking taped to a box this year :) The written comments made me cry because of why I made the wine - feel good moment for sure. Thank you SO much!

2016-12-09 14.40.52.jpg

I thought only Walnuts and Almonds were safe for winemaking due to the oils going rancid before the wine is ready.

Rodnboro, muscadine and pecan????? Please tell more about this!

I attended the Savannah Food and Wine Festival the last two years and there was a vendor that had a pecan flavored whiskey that was great. Now I'm not a whiskey drinker, but I was wondering what it would be like for a wine to be flavored with pecan. I'm from the south where muscadines and pecans are the staples down here, so I wanted to experiment combining these flavors. I experimented with a batch of my 2015 White Muscadine by flavoring it with Brewers Best Pecan Flavoring. I just made a 3 gallon regular White Muscadine and flavored 2 gallons of it with Brewers Best Pecan Flavoring. I back sweetened one to 1.005 and one to 1.015, and left one plain. In my opinion, the sweeter one was the best and that was the one I sent for the competition. I have 8 gallons of this years white muscadine that I will experiment with more. It adds a unique flavor that I'm enjoying so far.

I attended the Savannah Food and Wine Festival the last two years and there was a vendor that had a pecan flavored whiskey that was great. Now I'm not a whiskey drinker, but I was wondering what it would be like for a wine to be flavored with pecan. I'm from the south where muscadines and pecans are the staples down here, so I wanted to experiment combining these flavors. I experimented with a batch of my 2015 White Muscadine by flavoring it with Brewers Best Pecan Flavoring. I just made a 3 gallon regular White Muscadine and flavored 2 gallons of it with Brewers Best Pecan Flavoring. I back sweetened one to 1.005 and one to 1.015, and left one plain. In my opinion, the sweeter one was the best and that was the one I sent for the competition. I have 8 gallons of this years white muscadine that I will experiment with more. It adds a unique flavor that I'm enjoying so far.

Thanks, I'm thinking I might try this. What white muscadine did you use? I have access to Carlos and to Bronze.

I have a Pecan Port in progress using chenin (because I'm not a fan of muscadine) & a bottle Savannah Mixes Southern Praline Mix (25 oz). No real pecans were harmed on my end :) I have high hopes this will be delicious.

JohnT how many entries were there altogether? Sorry if this was already mentioned and thank you

I used Brewers Best Pecan wine flavoring as an experiment. I really liked the result.

Very cool. I love Pecans, I had no idea this existed. Growing up in Texas and having a great grandmother with pecan trees, we used to get full paper bags of them all the time.

Back