The great white wine competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
about 30 days or so...

Just kidding!

I have been through the agony of "waiting for results". I simply hate it!

As Joe may have pointed out, in between each flight we will be taking short breaks. During this time, my lovely wife (who does not drink BTW) will tally the scores. Depending on how late it goes, my intent is to publish the results the evening of the competition. If the judging take longer than expected, then look for the results on Monday evening.

@JohnT: in case it wasn't obvious (I didn't mark them), both of my entries are dry.

I think you have the groupings/order of tasting right where it should be, FWIW.

Is it today? It is, isn't it?

giphy.gif

Yes but someone had to do it��it was a good competition for all johnt will post when he's ready,just remember weather you win,place or show you made the effort .When I enter a wine tasting context the only one I'm in competition with is me,no one Else.the judging was done in shifts which was good ,no one's taste bud's got fatigued,you had a break between flight's,stay tuned for the results and thanks from Johnt and myself for making this contest a truly Great White Wine Contest.JP�� with country fruits.

Last edited:
johnT here.

Sorry for the delay. I have been having logon issues, so until they are cleared up I will use this new member id.

I wish to thank all of you who entered this year’s competition. We had 41 entries over a wide spectrum of types and styles.

The judging took over 4.5 hours over 7 different flights of wine. We had a total of 9 judges of which one 7 were picked for any given flight.This means that 2 judges could sit out a flight and give their pallets a rest.We had short breaks in between each flight where judges could further recover and be ready for the next flight.

All of the judges used the swirl/spit method, so by the end of the competition we were all still standing and perfectly fit to drive home.

Scoring was made on the UC Davis scale with points given for each wine characteristic with a maximum of 20 points total. A wine’s final score was determined by summing the average of each characteristic.

A total of 37 medals were awarded where 10 silver and 27 were bronze. Although there were no gold medals awarded, two wines were less than one point shy of a gold score.

I will be sending out the original score sheets (with judges comments) in the next couple of weeks. Unfortunately, I was not organized enough to record the return addresses, so I need to ask that each participant to PM ME YOUR ADDRESS. Please be sure to PM my johnT member id and not this one (johnTe).

Once again thanks for making this competition a success. It was truly an honor and a privilege. I will be posting pictures next week (once my login issues have been resolved.

RESULTS.jpg

Congratulations to all who received a medal! I didn't even place, bummer! Thought for sure I would at least place can't wait to get the feedback notes! Thanks to all the judges for taking the time to put this all together! Much appreciated!

Congrats everyone. And thanks to our judges/organizers. Looking forward to the notes. I know where I think my wines fall short and am looking forward to seeing if the judges reviews are consistent. Hopefully, there isn't something wrong that I've missed.

BTW: @amanda660: How much did you spend on shipping!!!!??? :sh

Back