Yinz got Chloramine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJsBasement

All in
Reaction score
In researching about compost tea I was reading about chlorine in city tap water and started reading more and more about Chloramine being the newest addition to our already over juiced water supply. Problem is that it stops the fermentation of the compost tea, bad for fish, plants, people just about everything besides the actual water system. A few places have banned the use in drinking water but not PA, in March 2012 Washington and Pittsburgh switched over to Chloramine. I'm looking for the links again but they had long list of health problems this stuff is causing and you cant just evaporate it off like you can with chlorine even pumping air thru it will do very little. From what I read Chloramine is chlorine with ammonia added to it making it much more stable. If it stops compost fermentation it's must be just as bad for your wine. I just starting reading about it but the list of health problems is kinda scary, I'm sure it was a bit over blown but still worth more investigating.

Bottled water? that is my only thought about protecting your wine. I am very glad to have a well! That information is really messed up. It is amazing what the gvmt can do with our food and water systems that they think is legit and yet it causes such damage to us. I would be interested in reading any links you to post.

From Wiki so....

"Chloramine-treated water has a greenish cast; the source of the colour is uncertain. Pure water by contrast normally is blue. This greenish color may be observed by filling a white polyethylene bucket with chloraminated tap water and comparing it to chloramine-free water such as distilled water or a sample from a swimming pool."
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloramine#section_4
Also says boiling for 20 minutes should remove it.

In researching about compost tea I was reading about chlorine in city tap water and started reading more and more about Chloramine being the newest addition to our already over juiced water supply. Problem is that it stops the fermentation of the compost tea, bad for fish, plants, people just about everything besides the actual water system. A few places have banned the use in drinking water but not PA, in March 2012 Washington and Pittsburgh switched over to Chloramine. I'm looking for the links again but they had long list of health problems this stuff is causing and you cant just evaporate it off like you can with chlorine even pumping air thru it will do very little. From what I read Chloramine is chlorine with ammonia added to it making it much more stable. If it stops compost fermentation it's must be just as bad for your wine. I just starting reading about it but the list of health problems is kinda scary, I'm sure it was a bit over blown but still worth more investigating.

You really should complain to DEP about this.

Latest posts

Back