Yet another small disaster...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I decided pineapple wine would be interesting.

Ingredients-

Two cans pineapple juice (100% juice)
two cups sugar
nearly one gallon of water
EC-1118

All that's mixed together in an arizona tea gallon jug.

I'm getting large piles on top of the must of what I assume is yeast- tan, yeasty, kinda slimy, looks like khaki foam insulation. It's clogging up my air lock and making life difficult in general.

Could somebody explain to me what I have done wrong?

You just need a wider-mouthed container without an airlock for the first 2/3 - 3/4 of fermentation

Most people use "food grade" buckets at first, then rack to a carboy+airlock at the end - you can find smaller ones at the grocery store bakery (frosting and cake dough comes in 3gallon and 5gallon buckets) that are for-sure food grade, for smaller batches.. Just cover it with a towel or a clean t-shirt to keep bugs and debris out

Nothing wrong, its just forming a "cap".. Co2 causes things to rise, yeast included, and tends to hold things at the top until enough is dislodged that the sediment/yeast/pulp can sink again

Pineapple throws a lot of pulp and like said above you dont have enough room in that vessel. You probably used a whole packet of yeast which is fine but until it settles it will look closer to that color and then the true color will dtart coming through ehen it starts clearing.

Latest posts

Back