Yeast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

threeballsf30

Junior
Reaction score
I've read several post on here about yeast. My question is how can you pick the right yeast? I mean is there something on the net saying if you use a certain fruit you want this yeast or if you want a certain alcohol % you should use this yeast. There are so many yeast to choose from how do you pick?

I went to my local wine kitz store and they just gave me a couple packets of yeast...lalvin ec-1118 to be exact for making my red wine from concentrate...they seemed to know what they were talking about. I read online this is a very strong yeast capable of handling up to 18% alcohol. I just started using it last night and its working very well 9 hours later.

areader89...it is possible that EC-1118 is the only yeast that Wine Kitz sells.

Steve

I went to my local wine kitz store and they just gave me a couple packets of yeast...lalvin ec-1118 to be exact for making my red wine from concentrate...they seemed to know what they were talking about. I read online this is a very strong yeast capable of handling up to 18% alcohol. I just started using it last night and its working very well 9 hours later.

Although EC-1118 is a strong yeast, you may want to rethink using it without regard to the type of wine you are making. EC-1118 is a champagne yeast. It is designed (cultured) to be strong in order to convert still wine (with a typical ABV) into champagne. For use in a still wine it is much like a bull in a china shop.

So many flavor components of wine come from yeast. My personal favorite for reds done in a classic style is RC-212 and D47 for whites, but that is just for my tastes. Others may disagree...

I've read several post on here about yeast. My question is how can you pick the right yeast? I mean is there something on the net saying if you use a certain fruit you want this yeast or if you want a certain alcohol % you should use this yeast. There are so many yeast to choose from how do you pick?

In addition to the excellent points made by other posters, here is a direct answer to your question. Here are a few resources discussing yeast selection that I have found informative:

http://www.lallemandwine.us/products/yeast_chart.php

http://www.lallemandwine.us/cellar.php

http://morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/wyeastpair.pdf

http://www.eckraus.com/RedStarProfiles.htm

Although EC-1118 is a strong yeast, you may want to rethink using it without regard to the type of wine you are making. EC-1118 is a champagne yeast. It is designed (cultured) to be strong in order to convert still wine (with a typical ABV) into champagne. For use in a still wine it is much like a bull in a china shop.

I can't really agree with this statement. Yes, it is a Champagne yeast. My understanding is that it comes from the Champagne region of France, not that it was designed solely for making champagne.

Yes, it is a strong yeast but then so are some others.

EC-1118 is fine for making still wine. It is especially good in difficult situations, which (I believe) is part of the reason that it is common in kit wines.

Steve

If you get a catalog from places like MoreWine, they do a great job of describing the attributes of each yeast they sell. This is actually how most of us get this type of info. MoreWine will send you a catalog if you ask them. They also have neat little sidebars, in the catalog, where they talk about oaking, SO2 management,etc. Their catalog is almost a small winemaking course in and of itself. Those guys do a great job.

good info turock..i will call today for one of there catalogs.
you see bud, thats why i cant get anything done...on the dang computer all the time, learning to make wine...

I can't really agree with this statement. Yes, it is a Champagne yeast. My understanding is that it comes from the Champagne region of France, not that it was designed solely for making champagne.

Yes, it is a strong yeast but then so are some others.

EC-1118 is fine for making still wine. It is especially good in difficult situations, which (I believe) is part of the reason that it is common in kit wines.

Steve

I think one of the strengths AND weaknesses of EC -1118 is that it is a very strong yeast and it is, I believe , often the yeast of choice to restart a stalled fermentation AND it tends not to impart any signature of its own. Some yeasts bring out fruity flavors, some yeasts bring out nutty flavors, other yeasts ferment vigorously in higher temperatures while still others prefer lower temperatures. I cannot speak to the yeasts provided in kits except that I suspect that the kit manufacturers believe that the yeasts they provide offer the least problems with the kinds of wine the kits will produce.

good info turock..i will call today for one of there catalogs.
you see bud, thats why i cant get anything done...on the dang computer all the time, learning to make wine...

LOL---ain't that the truth. I wonder where my mornings went--right here, that's WHERE.

I think one of the strengths AND weaknesses of EC -1118 is that it is a very strong yeast and it is, I believe , often the yeast of choice to restart a stalled fermentation AND it tends not to impart any signature of its own. Some yeasts bring out fruity flavors, some yeasts bring out nutty flavors, other yeasts ferment vigorously in higher temperatures while still others prefer lower temperatures. I cannot speak to the yeasts provided in kits except that I suspect that the kit manufacturers believe that the yeasts they provide offer the least problems with the kinds of wine the kits will produce.

Thanks Bernard, my thoughts exactly. Here is what Lalvin says about it...

The EC-1118 strain was isolated, studied and selected from Champagne fermentations. Due to its competitive factor and ability to ferment equally well over a wide temperature range, the EC-1118 is one of the most widely used yeasts in the world.

Oenological properties and applications The fermentation characteristics of the EC-1118 — extremely low production of foam, volatile acid and hydrogen sulfide (H2S) — make this strain an excellent choice. This strain ferments well over a very wide temperature range, from 10° to 30°C (50° to 86°F) and demonstrates high osmotic and alcohol tolerance. Good flocculation with compact lees and a relatively neutral flavor and aroma contribution are also properties of the EC-1118.

The EC-1118 strain is recommended for all types of wines, including sparkling, and late harvest wines and cider. It may also be used to restart stuck fermentations.
An excellent choice for champagnes and late harvest wines. Also a very good choice for dry whites.

In other words, EC-1118 is a good choice due to its hardiness. If you worry about kicking off a fermentation or have a stalled fermentation due to temp or perhaps SO2, then EC-1118 is a good choice. If flavor characteristics are what you are after, then EC-1118 might not be the yeast of choice since it adds very little in this regard.

Like I said, EC-1118 is a champagne yeast. This makes sense since as it is such a strong yeast and secondary fermentation (carbonation) is at times hard to kick off due to high alcohol.

Again, I prefer RC-212 for it's flavor components.

Latest posts

Back