Yeast Suggestions for Sauvignon Blanc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to be doing a Sauvignon Blanc this year, first white wine ever. So far I am thinking D47 or maybe something from Renaissance like Allegro no H2S yeast. Any experiences / suggestions would be appreciated.

One more question - do you press immediately after crush/destem or let it sit overnight on the skins? I am also aware that fermentation should be in cooler temperatures.

I've done a split batch with D47 and EC1118 on Chilean juice.
Per several taste tests with 5+ people per test - the 50/50 blend of the two was superior to either individually in terms of overall taste, structure, and aroma. Of the two individually, the D47 batch was considered slightly better.

On the whites I've done from grapes, I personally prefer a press immediately after crush/destem....but I was purposely going for a lighter, crisper style.

Thanks guys. I am doing a pretty small batch so I will not be able to use 2 different yeasts separately.

Right now I am leaning towards the D47. Is it a strong fermenter?

I am also considering just a wild ferment but not too sure about that...

I actually need to amend my statement....it was actually a split of K1 and D47, not EC1118. My apologies!

I've used D47 for a ton of projects (pinot grigio, sauv blanc, cider, blueberry....etc) and it has always been a great performer. I do notice that compared to other yeasts (I always do at least 2 yeasts in a split batch on white wines for my own experimenttation), it tends to produce less "crispness" in the wine and more body. In the SB, for me, it produced more tropical flavors and less of the crisp "pop" of acidity I love in white wine. So for me, the mix of 2 yeasts was the best of both worlds. YMMV depending on your taste.

Back