Yeast question!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

htes23

Junior
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the ammount of yeast per liter to use or how much yeast to use for a 3.75 liter container, I have packets of 7 gram packets of yeast at my disposal.

Use 1 packet per batch.
Unless your batches are really big like more as 3 gallon.

Yeast is a living thing it will eat and multiply in your must.
So 1 cell will be 2 cells in an hour or so and this way it keeps on dubbling for a long time till the must is saturated with yeast.

So one package will be 2 packages in a short time and so on.

Luc

One packet of yeast is usually good for up to 5-6 US gallons... Over-pitching your yeast isnt a problem, but underpitching could be..

For this batch, use the whole packet. Anything larger than 5-6 US gallons, consider more than 1 packet.

Not long ago I read that adding too much yeast actually can be a problem. My problem is I can't remember where I read it or how much was too much - unlike good wine my memory is not getting better with age! I think it was something like maybe 10 times the normal amount, but don't quote me on that.
It's not something we would normally have to worry about but it was interesting to find that there is an upper limit.

For 5-6 gallon batchs I use one package of Red Star yeast. But, I kick start it. Half cup pretty warm water, one packet of yeast in a pint mason jar and one tsp of honey. put the screw lid on, shake to mix. unscrew and just lay the lid on time for breathing and let set for 1/2 hour sometimes forty minutes. (Basically during that time Im getting the must/juice bucket ready.) Once the yeast mix starts bubbleing to twice its size I pour it all in the bucket. Put the lid on and then the air locker on. Used Lavin yeast a couple of times (it came with the kit) just didnt kick up enough for me. So I only use Red Star now.

Latest posts

Back