Yeast not starting???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the free SO2 level was at 250 ppm to start and you increased the volume from 1 gal to 3 gal then in theory the numbers should be cut in by 1/3 to ~85 ppm even without counting any reduction from the extra stirring.

At this level you should not have any issue with too much sulfite for the yeast to handle.

Ok-- I guess we'll see what happens! Thanks for the help!
smiley32.gif

2006-06-12_084642_RhubGraTHM2.jpg

I except nothing but total and complete success !!

If not..... time to try plan "B"
smiley36.gif

Oil

250 ppm is a bunch but not too bad as far as free SO2. When you first add sulfur a bunch of it is given off as SO2 in gasous form. This will typically kill a bunch of yeast, good and bad. That is why it is best to wait 24 hours before pitching the yeast. The 24 hours will allow the excess sulfur to dissipate.

Wine yeast is just like regular yeast but it has a special "pumping" mechanism to rid itself of SO2. You can easily overwhelm this mechanism by the addition of too much sulfur. What a great idea to divide the batches. It allows you to lower SO2 and also expirament a little with different yeasts and maybe flavorings.

earl

I kept the batches together -- and ended up adding grape concentrate (Welch's) and so it will be a "grape-rhubarb" or "rhubarb-grape" or something like that! Splitting batches will be for later when I can get at least ONE thing right! (My lilac has problems too -- see the general winemaking site!) This rhubarb and the lilac are the first two "scratch" wines (other than kits) I've tried, so I feel like I'm building the airplane as it's flying
smiley36.gif

UPDATE on June 13 -- fermenting to beat the band, and a great "cap" on top! Thanks, MASTA!
smiley32.gif
Edited by: OilnH2O

OilnH20,

I'm glad you got it going. After reading all you problems with the rhubarb, I'm almost afraid to start mine. My plans are to make 3 gals. rhubarb and 3 gals. strawberry/rhubarb. I hope to get it started soon.

The biggest problem with the rhubarb was cutting 7 pounds into 3/8 to 1/2 inches to begin the whole process! But, I must admit that the aroma was okay, and I almost hated to add the grape concentrate (because I knew it might take away from the rhubarb flavor). But, it's going great guns right now and I'd say to go ahead and try it. I did find a few different recipes though -- and my problem was not rhubarb, but ME! I substituted a 1/4 tsp of k-meta powder for 1 campden tablet and ended up added 10 times what was needed -- which KILLED the yeast!
smiley11.gif

(But I'm learning!)

I am glad to see your grapbarb or rhubrape is doing well.
smiley36.gif

If you make a mistake and don't learn anything from it then that is the biggest problem. Many issues or mistakes done while making wine can be corrected and I am glad you posted this thread since it adds lots of value to others.

I would think cutting up the rhubarb and then freezing it and thawing to make the wine would help break down the cellular structure as it does with many other fruits.

If I had to do it over again, BMW, I would have done just as Masta says, but the Jack Keller recipe didn't say anything about freezing. But, considering how the fibers of the rhubarb DULLED my knives to the point where I used the steel several times, freezing rhubarb is probably a GREAT idea!

Making mistakes actually gives you confidence too -- the JK recipe says to rack to the secondary after only leaving in the primary overnight, but I think I'll wait at least a couple of days -- the fermentation is VIGOROUS! And, the smell is something else -- if it were under airlock I'd think it would be pretty noisy as well!
smiley36.gif

I agree with Masta also, I know from cooking with rhubarb that it has better flavor and more juiceif I freeze it first. I did cut and freeze my rhubarb (26 lbs) it's still in the freezer. I know what you mean about the knife, my son was using it to cut up more rhubarb (he wants pie) and it is dull. Time for the knife to take a trip to see my dad again and it will be as good as new (thank God for Dads they seem to know how to fix everything).

I'll keep you posted when I get mine started, it will be a couple of weeks, we are remodelinga big portion of the houseand all of my wine making stuffis in a temporary location (the bedroom) as soon as I get my kitchen back together I will be good to go with my wine making. So I will be reading and learning from your/everyones posts, it's so nice to have everyone share their experiences here what a great source of information.

Latest posts

Back