Yeast & doubling question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11C_Recon

Junior
Reaction score
I just finished and bottled 6 gallons of Diamanti Icewine, and I realized I may have done something wrong from the start.

The kit is for 3 gallons, so I combined the two kits, now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have doubled all the chems that were included.

IE: EC1118 (5g), the 1 packet would be good enough for 6 gallons, but I put both in.

1 packet of Super-Kleer would have been good for 6 gallons, but I used both packets.

Also the Sorbate I'm worried about.

I'm assuming that the Bentonite and Sodium Metabisulfite packets were measured for 3 gallons, so doubling it would have been the correct procedure.(again, assuming)

I'm curious because I'm going to be making another batch of the two kits combined. The last batch turned out fine, but I did have weird textured white floaters that stuck to the glass of the carboy during clearing. It cleared perfectly, but those floaters just made me nervous. I bottled 57 bottles and only had a couple floaters in my last 2 bottles because they mainly stuck to the glass. Was this the Sorbate?

The floaters did not appear until I added the Sorbate, NaMeta and SuperKleer.
I'm doubting it was superkleer because it's liquid, So it leaves NA Meta and Sorbate.
Possible issues:
-I did not mix either with water before adding them to the wine
-Sodium Metabisulfite also contains Vitamins C (according to the packet label)

Last edited:
Responses in blue.

I just finished and bottled 6 gallons of Diamanti Icewine, and I realized I may have done something wrong from the start.

The kit is for 3 gallons, so I combined the two kits, now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have doubled all the chems that were included.

IE: EC1118 (5g), the 1 packet would be good enough for 6 gallons, but I put both in.

You could have just used one, but using two will not hurt a thing. The yeast population will expand to fill the available food volume anyway.

1 packet of Super-Kleer would have been good for 6 gallons, but I used both packets.

Again, same answer as above.

Also the Sorbate I'm worried about.

It would be measured for the 3 gallons, so you would double it for 6.

I'm assuming that the Bentonite and Sodium Metabisulfite packets were measured for 3 gallons, so doubling it would have been the correct procedure.(again, assuming)

Yes, that is correct.

I'm curious because I'm going to be making another batch of the two kits combined. The last batch turned out fine, but I did have weird textured white floaters that stuck to the glass of the carboy during clearing. It cleared perfectly, but those floaters just made me nervous. I bottled 57 bottles and only had a couple floaters in my last 2 bottles because they mainly stuck to the glass. Was this the Sorbate?

The floaters did not appear until I added the Sorbate, NaMeta and SuperKleer.
I'm doubting it was superkleer because it's liquid, So it leaves NA Meta and Sorbate.
Possible issues:
-I did not mix either with water before adding them to the wine
-Sodium Metabisulfite also contains Vitamins C (according to the packet label)

I don't mix sorbate first, either. I add the chems to a clean and sanitized carboy, then rack on top of them, and then stir. It is not unusual to get small debris "floaters" in wine. Make certain you are adding your preservatives and stabilizers at the correct time to make sure these are not infections. Make sure everything that touches your wine is BOTH clean and sanitized. Use just one packet of clearing agent per 6 gallons. SuperKleer is a precipitating agent, so too much could have been the trouble.

Last edited:
Doubling the yeast will not hurt at all. With the exception of the clarifiers, the other chemicals should have all (both dosages) been used. But doubling the clarifiers really didn't hurt anything, either.

Its not really clear from your original post, but are you using the chems that came with the kits or using your own? If you are using them from the kit then they are designed for your 3 gal kit x 2 for 6, you might be overthinking things a lot. If you are using your own stock of chems then make your cals based on that. You should dissolve all your chems in a little water, like a quarter cup before adding, this is the only way to make sure they are suspended and not clumped up on the bottom, and if you have chunks of stuff floating around it means you did not dissolve the sorbate and so you are not going to get the full protection from the dose you added. A lot of people dont want to dissolve their chems in a little water as they think it will dilute their wine, a half cup in 6 gallons of wine, dont think that would really be a factor in affecting the taste. WVMJ

Jim and robie
Thanks a lot for the responses, and clarifying it all. That will prove very helpful on the next two batches I'm making . I'm very careful with my sanitizing and I don't think that was the issue. The wine tastes amazing, and the floaters were few and far between, just thought it was weird that they went to the top and stuck to the glass.

WVMJ
I am using only the stuff included in the kit. Each includes 5 grams of EC1118 and each includes an entire packet of super-kleer. According to the instructions, Super-kleer is designed for 5-6 gallons. I put BOTH packets of super-kleer in my 6 gallon batch. I've e mailed Advintage to see if they maybe dilute the packet to make it appropriate for 3 gallons, but I really doubt it. Exact same size and amounts as the super-kleer packet bought in a lhbs. (still waiting on their reply)
I am most likely going to mix the packets with water prior to adding next time. Thanks for the tip.

Like the other guys said, 1 pack of yeast will work fine, you can save the extra pack in case one batch gets stuck or to make your own wine. If its a regular pack of superkleer it "should" do 6 gallons, but maybe it depends on your kit, or maybe superkleer only comes in a pack for 6 gallons. You could probably just use one pack for the combined wine, but, with kits they say its better to follow the instructions. If your wine is coming out perfectly all these ingredients are cheap so there is no real reason not to continue on exactly the same. Good question BTW. WVMJ

Back