Yeast and Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieM

Reaction score
I've been making the kits now for a year with good success. Few Island Mist and have a Merlot and Port aging until November. In all these I've used the supplied yeast. But been reading some on using a liquid type instead. Anyone ever done this, used a different type than what's supplied? Pros / cons, good/ bad?

I've been making the kits now for a year with good success. Few Island Mist and have a Merlot and Port aging until November. In all these I've used the supplied yeast. But been reading some on using a liquid type instead. Anyone ever done this, used a different type than what's supplied? Pros / cons, good/ bad?

You should be able to look at older threads and read a lot on this subject, as it comes up often.

The yeast supplied with a kit is generally the hardiest yeast, rather than the best yeast to bring out the best characteristics for the particular varietal of the kit. The idea is the kit manufacturer has to guaranty the kit to successfully make wine if instructions are followed. So, they are going to provide the hardiest yeast they can.

Though different yeast can make a difference in the wine, most wine drinkers very likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless at a single tasting, they could taste a sample of each wine made with the different yeast.

Here is a yeast and grape paring guide that tells which yeast goes best based on desired characteristics.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/wyeastpair.pdf

It can be fun experimenting with different yeast, but some strains require more nutrients than others. If the kit-supplied yeast requires a low amount of nutrients and you try to use a yeast that requires a high level, if you don't make up the difference in nutrients, the fermentation can get stuck, resulting in the H2S (rotten egg) problem.

I would study up well on this before trying it. As I mentioned already, you likely won't be able to tell the difference in the results of different yeast.

Good question from Charlie and good answer from Robie. I'm learning a lot from this forum.

Here's a recent thread on the topic.
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f84/changing-yeast-kit-wines-general-39738/

Here's a paragraph that I wrote in that thread.
BTW, Winexpert uses a much wider range of yeasts than the other kit manufacturers. Vineco has been using three varieties (primarily EC-1118). RJ Spagnols has used EC-1118 solely for many years, but I just read about one of their kits with a different yeast. Not sure about Cellar Craft. Since WE uses a wider range of yeasts, I would be less inclined to substitute for their selection.

You specifically mentioned liquid yeasts, which I have not noticed discussed on this forum very often (at least not for kits). Yes, I know of some people who have substituted the liquid yeasts for the included yeast. I have never had an opportunity to try the results, so can't personally comment. Of course, they generally thought that it improved the wine (<grin>).

As I understand it, there are two potential issues with substituting a yeast.
  1. robie mentioned the possible need for additional nutrients (or energizer)
  2. I have also read that some yeasts do not work well with concentrates, as found in most kits. It would be nice if there was a list of yeasts known to work with kits, but I'm not aware of one.
BTW, trying a liquid yeast is something that I've wanted to do for some time. I would make two identical kits, sticking with the included yeast for the 'control' batch.

Steve

To what Steve said I would add
3. Using another yeast would void your waranty.

Latest posts

Back