World Cup - Brazil 2014

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Game over. Commiserations USA, Belgium certainly deserved the win over the course of the game but your boys played with so much heart to wrestle the momentum back.

Much to learn we still have…….

Executed+_dcd702d89caf15956fef140711f10df1.jpg

Yeah, lots of heart, but lack of sufficient talent ultimately did us in. This Yahoo article that I read this morning covers it pretty well:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/u-s--s-gritty-effort-not-good-enough-to-compete-with-world-cup-elite-012904887.html

Summary (bent towards my opinions):
1. Howard is one of the best goalkeepers in the world.
2. The best athletic talent in the US still goes into other sports.

There is good news though...the goalkeeping and heart that used to get us buried are now keeping us in games, even against the top teams. A thought that came to me the other day while discussing soccer with someone who normally doesn't follow the sport: Relatively speaking, not that long ago a lot of the European teams wouldn't even book friendly matches with us, because a match wouldn't give them much more than a workout. Obviously things have changed.

Unfortunately, not enough has changed, and especially recently, to quench our desire to advance and finally emerge draped in victory.

This is pretty much exactly what soccer goes through in Australia (and JohnT's response is pretty much that of a large number of Australians too!)

Here soccer has three other codes of football to compete with (Rugby Union, Rugby League and Aussie Rules) as well as cricket. It's increasing in popularity at club level, pretty close to rugby league but well short of the AFL.

At an international level the Socceroos are now arguably the most-followed national team, eclipsing the Wallabies (rugby union) ... everyone watches cricket but our national team is in a bit of a lull, and it's more of a pastime than a sport anyway... :)

Like in the USA, despite being around for a long long time It has also largely been seen as an 'ethnic' sport played mostly by immigrants but this is changing.
It has always had massive participation but the other footy codes have in the past tended to snap up the most athletic kids (the AFL will sometimes draft kids that are stars at basketball and stuff but have never kicked a footy) - I think this is changing now that there are better professional pathways and the game is far more 'mainstream'.
Also like the USA, Australians are used to dominating in international sports so it can be a tough sell getting people interested in a global game where we're not really expected to do well against the top teams...
And things are changing, we're getting gradually better but it will be a long slow road to get anywhere near the top of the pile

It's really amazing how similar the sports landscape (at least soccerwise) is between our countries. Substitute gridiron football and basketball for rugby and baseball for cricket and it reads perfectly.

While the top of this particular pile is just a bit out of reach, at least we have something to strive for, right?

Soccer is interesting and addictive, isn't it? From where I stand, it sees an inexorable, slow, and steady increase in popularity.
I grew on American football. But my middle kid is a soccer addict and 4 year starter at the college level. Needless to say, we've watched a lot of soccer. At this point, I find it much more entertaining than American football. I find the NFL particularly hard to watch now...many players aren't really fit; injuries are often grotesque; and with each hit you can't help but think about the long term concussive effects. Soccer is just elegant compared to football.

Have you ever tried playing? I have. I think of soccer like winemaking: it's very easy to do; it's exceedingly difficult to do really well.

It is very easy to root for the USMNT. We are getting there. Criticisms of Klinsman in my opinion are unjustified. We need to continue to grow more talent. Hopefully we get there in my lifetime.

PS if anyone is going to see Real Madrid v Roma in Dallas, pm me, we'll be there.

Latest posts

Back