WineXpert Winexpert Eclipse Napa Valley Stag's Leap Merlot with Skins - Review

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpkinman

Reaction score
I received a Winexpert Eclipse Napa Valley Stag's Leap Merlot with Skins kit in January (2013) as a gift. These kits being as new as they were, not much feedback was available.

I followed the directions up until the point where it stated to add sorbate and a fining agent, I had not plans on back sweetening, and I was going to let time clear the wine for me.

This is one of the few red wines that I didn't put through an oak barrel, my wife tasted it early on and felt that it was ok the way it was.
I let the wine age 10 months, I racked twice, tested the SO2 levels and adjusted when necessary.

I had plans to let it bulk age for 1 yr minimum, but I needed to free up a few 6 gal carboys, so I decided to bottle it a few days ago.

Having bottled the WineXpert Eclipse Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel kit that was the same age, same basic process, right before the Merlot kit, I tasted the Zin and didn't really care for it, thank God it was a gift, if it doesn't improve, it will become an expensive cooking wine, anyhow, I didn't really have any high hopes for the Merlot based upon the Zin, I was really pleasantly surprised with the Merlot, it is a real nice, fruit forward (hint of berries) wine with full body and decent mouth feel, very much enjoyable, my wife and I polished off a bottle with dinner.

I cannot wait to see how it develops in another 6 months to a yr in the bottle.
Although I don't think that I'd pay $175 for a kit when I can buy several lugs of grapes for the same price, but for those of you that are looking for top end Kits that live up to their reputation, this would be one.

As for the WineXpert Eclipse Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel kit....I wouldn't waste your money.

I received a Winexpert Eclipse Napa Valley Stag's Leap Merlot with Skins kit in January (2013) as a gift. These kits being as new as they were, not much feedback was available.

I followed the directions up until the point where it stated to add sorbate and a fining agent, I had not plans on back sweetening, and I was going to let time clear the wine for me.

This is one of the few red wines that I didn't put through an oak barrel, my wife tasted it early on and felt that it was ok the way it was.
I let the wine age 10 months, I racked twice, tested the SO2 levels and adjusted when necessary.

I had plans to let it bulk age for 1 yr minimum, but I needed to free up a few 6 gal carboys, so I decided to bottle it a few days ago.

Having bottled the WineXpert Eclipse Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel kit that was the same age, same basic process, right before the Merlot kit, I tasted the Zin and didn't really care for it, thank God it was a gift, if it doesn't improve, it will become an expensive cooking wine, anyhow, I didn't really have any high hopes for the Merlot based upon the Zin, I was really pleasantly surprised with the Merlot, it is a real nice, fruit forward (hint of berries) wine with full body and decent mouth feel, very much enjoyable, my wife and I polished off a bottle with dinner.

I cannot wait to see how it develops in another 6 months to a yr in the bottle.
Although I don't think that I'd pay $175 for a kit when I can buy several lugs of grapes for the same price, but for those of you that are looking for top end Kits that live up to their reputation, this would be one.

As for the WineXpert Eclipse Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel kit....I wouldn't waste your money.

I would certainly recommend the CC Showcase OVZ!!

Having been to the winery where those Merlot grapes come from, it would be hard to make that kit not be phenomenal. Great kit and fantastic wine. Not to mention the huge cost savings of making it yourself via buying that kind of volume from the winery.

The Eclipse series are fantastic wines, and Zin can be one of those grapes that shine one year, and your palate rejects the next. That's half the fun of the harvest and trying new wines.

Keystone,
I have to agree on the Zin, I bottled it and decided that I'd put it away for another 6 months to a year before I try it again.
The Eclipse Series is just about on par cost wise with the cost of buying 4 lugs of fresh grapes.

Back