Wineries in Livermore CA? Zinfandel?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdrianSmith

Young Wine Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm preferably looking for a good Zin (but am open to cabs as well), I'm looking for wineries to feature in a new magazine i'm writing for called Drink Me. Any and all recommendations deeply appreciated!

Thank you guys and gals! =)

I responded in the other forum, but I'll repeat myself here:

I was just there on Friday and Saturday and have some recommendations for a few you should definitely check out.

3 Steves - they have a nice zin that is more reserved, a little lighter than the heavy jammy ones and I think one that would pair well with foods. They also have an interesting cab blend of 3 grapes - cab franc, cab sauv, and cab pfeffer. Oh, their sparkling wine is amazing - fermented and aged in the bottle for 2 years before disgorging. VERY well done.

Nottingham - Probably some of the best wines I tasted in Livermore. Their malbec is really really good.

Boa Ventura de Caires - great cabs - wonderful rustic tasting room tucked up on a hill with their small vineyards and one of the highlights of my visit. They are not open every weekend.

Mitchell Katz - also very nice.

Forgot a couple

Steven Kent. Great wines, they do a reserve tasting as well as their normal tasting.

McGrail Vineyards - pretty nice cabernets.

Page Mill - I visited them last February and was impressed with their Sauvignon Blanc and Syrah.

Haha - Samesies!

Absolutely fantastic!

I live in the San Francisco (city itself), so am making a little trip over with a friend.

Your suggestions are brilliant, I will be getting in touch with each and every one of these guys.

Thank you for this really helpful info :)!

Awesome. If you get to Nottingham, the owner, Jeff, is a great guy to talk to. I had a wonderful chat with the tasting room staff - I think his name was Sam? But my memory of names is fading a bit. He had some great recommendations. Tell 'em I sent you - the guy starting a winery in North Dakota.

By the way, the malbec is usually reserved for their club. I think if you mention you heard how great it was, they will let you taste it. You should buy a bottle or two or three.

McGrail Vineyards

I was visiting my son and while I was at it, visited a few wineries. Since I am a newbie at wine making, I started to talk to anyone who would listen at various wineries. I started to talk to Mark Clarin, the winemaker. Really nice guy. He gave me his card, phone number and e-mail and said if I had any questions, call him or e-mail him. I have and he has always replied.

Impressive!

Corinth

Last edited:
I don't remember the name, but there is a small 100% organic winery in Livermore that was fantastic. Their winemaker even took a few of us into the back to taste blending samples for them. It was several years ago...

Latest posts

Back