WineXpert Wine Smoother

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casper

Reaction score
I got my early Christmas Present
smiley4.gif
<?:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /></v:stroke></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:ulas></v:path><?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shape>a Harvest Selection Viognier. There is a 15g of Wine Smoother with the kit. The instruction is not calling for this. What should I do with the Wine Smoother and what is it?

I have seen Harvest Selection as a brand at our local Superstores. For the US based folks, Superstore is short for The Real Canadian Superstore and is a food chain up here kinda like CostCutter down south. It is quite a large chain owned by Loblaws and I think they also own the "Presidents Choice" label. This particular brand is distributed by some company in Calgary, but that is all I can figure out. It is a 10L kit of concentrate/juice. My guess that this "wine smoother" is nothing more than liquid invert sugar and sorbate to sweeten it up after fermentation.

I also did this kit in a Shiraz in August of this year. I "tweaked" this kit and over-oaked it. Now I use it as a topper wine and a wine for glüg (gloog), which is very similar to German Gluwein. Basically serve it up hot and spiced with a shot of brandy...VERY nice for the winter!

It ismake inCanada and I think it is call Selection, anyway here pictures of the box and the mysterious add in.

2005-12-19_192443_kit.jpg

2005-12-19_192508_Smoot.jpg

It says ADD to wine prior to bottling, the thing is I don't like putting stuff in my wine when I don't know whatit isfor
smiley6.gif

Found this info for you

Wine Smoother = "Smooth the taste of young or harsh wines. Blends of glycerin &amp; oak extract. 15 ml. pouch for 6 gallons"

Weekend Brewer - Wine Ingredients Page
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =j>35278, Wine Smoother-smoothes harsh or young wines; reduces aging time. Blend of oak extract &amp; glycerine. 1 fl. oz per 5-6 gallons.</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

http://www.weekendbrewer.com/beerwinechemicals.htm

Sounds like it is an optional item to use to make the kit wine drinkable earlier.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif
Edited by: smurfe

Casper said:
Thank Smurfe

I think I won't use it, I like to age my wine.
smiley1.gif

You must be one of those "tough" ones.
smiley2.gif

Good for you!!!
smiley32.gif

I wish I'd have your patience!

Is there any contact information in the kit for the manufacturer. I would give them a call andask them.."whats up"

Strange. I looked them up in the Internet, and no luck.

Is there anything on the package that tells you where they're located? One of the few places that sells these kits are ABCCork in Ontario, Canada.

I am trying to remember what grocery store that I have seen that product in. It is either Superstore or Save On. Do you think that the grocery store supplier might have any info on products that they carry in their store?? Naaa probably not...still if you are interested could look into it.

JC

Did some snooping for you! Call me Martina P.I.!!!!

Registrant:
ABCCorkCo.
653WiltonGroveRd.W.
London,OntarioN6N1N7
CA

Domainname:DANMARWINEANDBEERSUPPLIES.COM

AdministrativeContact:
Cardoso,Dani
653WiltonGroveRd.& nbsp;W.
London,OntarioN6N1 N7
CA
519-668-6160 Fax:519-668-2004

TechnicalContact:
Hostmaster,Hostmaster&nb sp;
4151PerkinsRoad
London,ONN6L1C2
CA
519-652-1942 Fax:519-652-1969

Looked up in the WhoIs in the internet and lo and behold, ABC Cork owns it. ;) No wonder they were the only ones who carried the label! Now you have a number and so on to contact them. :)

Good luck, keep us posted!

Martina (P.I.)

Thanks MedPretzel, I will definitely keep those phone #. Started the kit yesterday. Add half pound of sugar (SG 1.086). Half of the batch will be use to blend with my blackberry wine (blush) not sure for the % yet, but I will do some test samples when time come. Apparently a Viognier blend very well with Blackberry wine.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
And the Kit is from Super Store.

Latest posts

Back